Burning Half-tones using CMYK

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

lacudesign

Burning Half-tones using CMYK

Post by lacudesign »

Hello,

Can anyone help me on how to burn the design using CMYK? What emulsions should I use? What is the time requirement for the process?

I have been trying to expose my parents face on a silk screen so I can print it on a shirt for their anniversary but no luck the design won't transfer to the screen. :(

Please advise. Thank you.
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Re: Burning Half-tones using CMYK

Post by Shamax »

Some more information would be helpful to figure out why it "won't transfer" the way you're doing it. I'm assuming you're wanting to expose 4 screens and do CMYK 4-color process to screen the shirt? If you're just doing a one-off print of a couple shirts for their anniversary, I'd recommend one of the following:

1) Look into doing an inkjet heat transfer (if you have a heat press) or find someone locally or online that can do it cheaply.
2) If you're bent on doing it yourself, I'd personally try doing a one-color halftone print especially if it's only going to be a couple of shirts.

If you're dead set on using 4-color process (CMYK) to print, though, and you have a manual rotary press with micro-registration to print with, we will need a good explanation of what you're attempting to do now:

What are you using for your four film positives?
What is the mesh count of the screens you're using?
What kind/brand of emulsion are you trying?
How are you coating your screens (just 1 layer on each side, or are you trying to use more)?
What is your exposure source (overhead lamp, UV unit, sunlight, etc)?
How long are you letting it expose?
Is the emulsion completely washing away and leaving nothing behind, or is it hardening completely and not washing out at all?

Also, I guess I should have asked this first, but are you just getting started with printing or have you been doing this for a while? I'm still very much an amateur myself and don't have the equipment to do CMYK prints, but I do know some about the steps involved just from studying the trade. Hopefully we can all help ya out - Happy Early Anniversary to your folks! :mrgreen:
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch
lacudesign

Post by lacudesign »

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. Was expecting to have one in the next 12 hours or so. Appreciate it.

Anyhoo, probably Im in your third category. "Dead-set on using 4-color process(CMYK)" category. Heheh. I've been doing spot-color printing for about 3 to 4 months now. I was intrigued about the 4-color process so that's when I decided to make a couple shirt for my mom and dad. I'd like to do it myself too. To learn the process and labor of love them as well.

Videos of Jonathan really helped me on the spot-color printing process. Big thanks to him. He's really passionate and knows his stuffs.

So, to answer your questions. Here goes:

What are you using for your four film positives? -- I used the transparent ones and also thin bond papers? Ohh pls dont judge. I really have no idea :?
What is the mesh count of the screens you're using? -- I used 200 mesh count. higher counts are not available in our local area.
What kind/brand of emulsion are you trying? -- Im not sure if you are familiar with the brand but Im using the Aquasol ER of Tulco
How are you coating your screens (just 1 layer on each side, or are you trying to use more)? -- I coated 2 layers on each side :roll:
What is your exposure source (overhead lamp, UV unit, sunlight, etc)? -- its a fluorescent white lamps.
How long are you letting it expose? -- about 10 mins
Is the emulsion completely washing away and leaving nothing behind, or is it hardening completely and not washing out at all? -- some part of the emulsions where the design is positioned are washed and some were not washing at all.

Hope that helps you in troubleshooting the predicament I'm in. Thanks again for the reply. So kind of you. Will send your advance greetings to my folks.
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Post by Shamax »

By the sounds of it, come along much the same route I have except you've probably done more prints with more colors than I've been able to, so all I'm really bringing to this is another pair eyes. ;)

I did some quick looking and it seems the Aquasol ER is a photoemulsion that's pre-mixed with sensitizer and sounds fine. Your description of the results you're seeing sounds like you may be getting overexposure in some of the finer areas. Are you using some kind of exposure calculator on the screens as well (like the Saati step-wedge) - if so, what's it reading? Also, the fact that you're doing a 2/2 coating of emulsion is jumping out at me. Thicker coats are going to lay down thicker ink deposits, which is nice for white or light colors on darks, but for fine-detail process printing, I think you'll probably want to do a 1/1 coat instead. That, and you'll definitely want to use transparencies for your positives if you can. I tried the oiled paper method a couple of times with little to no success - though I think that may be because I was using overhead exposure and baking the emulsion. Fluoro-lights may be a different story, but if you're having problems, I'd say it's better to remove as much margin of error as possible and go with good, clear film positives.

Hope it helps, and hopefully Jonathan or one of the other more season printers around can provide some further perspective :mrgreen:
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch
lacudesign

Post by lacudesign »

Thanks for the advise. Will try the 1/1 coating and definitely will be using transparent films.

About the Aquasol ER. It's the only kind available in our place also. I don't have any exposure calculators or that thing which Jonathan mentioned in some of his video tutorials which could determine the mesh is already tight enough.

Still planning if I'm making the printing hobby official. From the videos I've seen from Jonathan, there's alot of things to learn and master.

Yes, hopefully Jonathan can make a video tutorial on how to correctly burn the 4-color process. Thanks again for advise, it's very much. :)
nswpr
Senior Screen Printer

Post by nswpr »

Interesting Post, looking forward to it. I will love to learn 4 color process.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Nice thread, very cool stuff here. I’m not sure what I can add except I’ll try... LOL ;)

It’s true. When exposing halftones you must make sure you have very dense, very crisp film positives. I can’t stress this enough. If the film positive is poor when exposing halftones for 1 color images or CMYK the sctencil will suffer and be difficult to washout. You’ll need an excellent film positive for the best results achieved easily.

Also, yes, thinner emulsion layers are better for higher detail. Thicker emulsion on the mesh will be difficult to burn properly especially when dealing with dot.

For true CMYK halftones at 65 lpi or higher you’ll want 305 to 355 mesh. If you can do the halftone at lower lpi settings you may get away with lower mesh counts.

Here is an article you may want to check out:

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/halftone-tips.html

Fluorescent white lamps are causing too much diffusion and an extended burn time. Try using a 500 or 1000 watt work lamp with the glass removed. That should help out a lot. Just make sure the heat from the lamp does not cook the emulsion.

Excellent trouble shooting Shamax, I couldn’t have done that better myself. I appreciate your participation on the forum greatly.

As for halftone videos, yes we will eventually get there. I promise to do a 1 color halftone and a four color spot and dot this spring and summer. It is very difficult for me to do specific videos as I make these videos in spare time between print jobs and other work. I can’t spend lots of time creating artwork or screens especially for videos and such.

But just hang in there because we just got started. The truth is the more revenue the videos earn, the more complex videos I can make. So make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel and stay tuned.

Oh yeah everyone can use the promo codes too ;) That helps out a lot to keep the best screen printing videos on YouTube coming right at you...

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/sc ... plies.html

Thanks for all your support guys.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
lacudesign

Post by lacudesign »

Thank you thank you..will try this new information soonest.

The videos really helped especially to newbies like me. Thanks man. You're the best. Will surely look forward to the new videos this summer.
Thanks for all the insights everyone. I'd like to be a pro in this line of passionate profession. It's fun and challenging at the same time.

Will check out some other other tips on screen printing in CatSpitProductions. Appreciate it very much. :D