Blowout help

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Blowout help

Post by ApeShirt »

I exposed my screen (dual cure emulsion) for 5 minutes. I'm using an 8 bulb (15W) exposure unit. I also use an Epson 1400 BlaccMax system to print my film positives. After about 6-8 seconds under the pressure washer it completely blew out. Is this due to being under exposed? Or is it something else? I coated my screen 2-1. I hope I used all the right terms, lol.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Saati
Instructor

Re: Blowout help

Post by Saati »

ApeShirt wrote:I exposed my screen (dual cure emulsion) for 5 minutes. I'm using an 8 bulb (15W) exposure unit. I also use an Epson 1400 BlaccMax system to print my film positives. After about 6-8 seconds under the pressure washer it completely blew out. Is this due to being under exposed? Or is it something else? I coated my screen 2-1. I hope I used all the right terms, lol.
First I want to clarify what you mean by pressure washer. If you mean a motorized pressure washer, then stop. Developing any screen with a pressure washer is just a bad idea unless it is used very carefully (full fan spray 14+ inches away from the surface of the screen). Pressure washers are great for reclaim but just cause problems when used for degreasing and developing.

Typically if all the emulsion just washed off and no latent image showed up then one of 2 things has happened either the dual cure emulsion has not been sensitized or you are way under exposed.

Have you used this exact bucket of emulsion before?
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Thank you for the reply Saati. According to the screen printing DVDI got from Ryonet, it shows and talks about using a pressure washer to washout the stencil. My image started to washout but quickly blew out.
Greg
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

ApeShirt wrote:Thank you for the reply Saati. According to the screen printing DVDI got from Ryonet, it shows and talks about using a pressure washer to washout the stencil. My image started to washout but quickly blew out.
No worries, Like I said it is ok if used in the right mannor but I would still use caution.

If you are sure you mixed the diazo into the emulsion properly and got all the diazo out of the bottle and didnt leave some sitting in the bottom I would then look at the exposure time used.

If it started to develop then blew out completely then I would say try an experiment on your next screen (if you dont have a exposure caluculator). Expose the screen for 10 min and see what you get. Ultimatly everything will be a guess unless you get an exposure calculator to determine the proper exposure time.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Thanks again. I'll up the exposure time and see what happens. I just wanted to make sure that could be the issue before I proceed any further. I'll let you know what happens. I'll also try to wash it out trying just a hose first 8-)
Greg
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Update: Whoot shoot! Increasing the exposure time worked. I exposed for 8 minutes and was able to washout with a garden hose and nozzle. No pressure washer. I printed my very first shirt yesterday, white on black, front and back. Looks pretty earn good. Thank you very much for you help.
Greg
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Congratulations! Awesome, I have been following this and have to say thanks to Saati for the excellent help. I am very happy the forum and one of our vendors was able to help you out. Things are starting to work well on the Catspit forum. Make sure to give some Saati emulsions a try the next time you need some. It’s good stuff and they will be of great help with using it.

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/sa ... icals.html

Thank you for posting your question on the Catspit forum! And thanks for answering Saati!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate this forum. As a newbie it is extremely helpful to me. Watching videos doesn't always answer my questions. I printed my shirt, showed it to the customer and they were pleased. I am now doing a small production run for their band before they play a large music festival in a couple weeks :D
Greg
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Very cool, I am so happy to hear that. Know that we are working on controlling these spammers. So I apologize for notices about replies on topics by spammers.

Good luck with the festival shirts and know that Catspit is here to help out anytime. I hope to see more posts form you as you move forward in your screen printing endeavors. Thanks for posting.

Make sure to share your social networking platforms and such in the Community section as well.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

ApeShirt wrote:Update: Whoot shoot! Increasing the exposure time worked. I exposed for 8 minutes and was able to washout with a garden hose and nozzle. No pressure washer. I printed my very first shirt yesterday, white on black, front and back. Looks pretty earn good. Thank you very much for you help.
Excellent. Glad to be of some help to you. I hope every thing goes smooth from now on but if it doesnt, we are hear to help you in any way we can.