Curious how others would tackle this project...

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

reactiongfx
Screen Trooper

Curious how others would tackle this project...

Post by reactiongfx »

I've got a run of 25 black crew neck sweatshirts to do with the attached design. I'm not really sure the best way to tackle this. I've got a 4/4 manual press. I print A LOT of black garments, and whenever possible I use opaque inks and do a print/flash/print if necessary for vibrancy and decent ink coverage. This one is three colors: gold/tan, red, maroon. No matter how you cut it, I see lots of potential registration issues. The gold/tan isn't really an issue, I'll print/flash/print that regardless. It's the red and maroon that present the biggest challenge...

Method 1:
Butt registration. Knock the maroon highlights out of the red, print/flash/print both the red and maroon. Seems like the most logical way to do this, but again, all that butt registration concerns me.

Method 2:
Overprint. Print/flash/print the full red and then overprint the maroon highlights on top of the red. In order to maintain the same maroon color throughout, I'd have to print the entire eagle in red and overprint the maroon half. With all that detail in the eagle, again I'm concerned about registration. I can't lose any detail on the eagle, and if registration isn't perfect, some of those thin lines are sure to fill in.

I thought about the possibility of making this a 2-color print and using a halftone of the red to achieve the maroon color for the highlights, but that's a lot of trial and error and/or guessing,and then there's still the eagle, which will definitely lose detail if printed as a halftone. Really looking for some input as to the best way to print this design. Any input is always appreciated!

Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Curious how others would tackle this project...

Post by Catspit Productions »

Can you see if you can re-upload the image? It seems to not be displaying for me.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions