Exposure Time Issues

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

thefatbuddha

Exposure Time Issues

Post by thefatbuddha »

Hello,

I bought a 21 step exposure test. It is showing a 10 so slightly overexposed based on that but the emulsion is slimy and streaky on the squeegee side upon rinse out? Any ideas why this may be the case. Coated 1/1 with CCI Pre-Sensitized Emulsion left to dry for 24hrs.

40 Second Exposure on a Lincoln UV Exposure unit with the 4 bulbs.

I bought some of the photopolymer emulsion from the catspit site but haven't busted that open to try it yet...since I have two gallons of this CCI stuff and would like to figure out how to get it to work so it's not a complete waste.

Thank you Jonathan and everyone else here.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Exposure Time Issues

Post by Catspit Productions »

Usually on a black lamp exposure unit there will always be some underexposed emulsion on the ink well side. It's the nature of the beast since the quality of UV light has a hard time penetrating from bottom to top during exposure. The only thing you can do is increase the exposure time. If that is not good for the artwork then you'll have to deal with it. I would not rely 100% on an exposure calculator for your exposure time. You'll need to examine the burn and decide for yourself if you need to increase or decrease the exposure time.

However I have a video on how to deal with this scum that will most likely clog some of the stencil. First if it's a photopolymer, after the screen is dry, do a post cure:

Then clear out the stencil:

I hope that helps out.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions