Newbie with some print issues...

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Rad_tee_shirt
Screen Trooper

Newbie with some print issues...

Post by Rad_tee_shirt »

Hi forum members,

I am new to the forum, and also new to screen printing.
I own a starter press, one color and two screens, I have no clue what the mesh size is but I have been told it's good for printing T-shirts. I use water-based inks.
I did run into some issues though, I was wondering if you guys have some tips to avoid the problems I seem to encounter.

Sometimes the ink does not go to through the mesh in some places, and I am missing pieces.

Sometimes I have the opposite, too much ink, messing up the sharpness of the design.

Other times I seem to have a double print, like as if the shirt moved while pushing down, I do use spay glue though to keep the shirt from moving.

Also another problem is that the ink seems to bleed on some prints.

I enclosed some pics to illustrate my problems. Tips and hints more than welcome, thanks in advance!

:oops:

Dip.Schlitz
Squeegee Master

Re: Newbie with some print issues...

Post by Dip.Schlitz »

The double imaging and smearing could be a result of a heavy handed flood and stroke.
Try easing off on one, the other, or both. Maybe no flood is necessary if the ink is super loose.
Mesh count could also be a factor. If you're pushing through a 110 with a soupy ink you'll loose the fine edges.
Looks like you're losing information when making a color change. Whatever you're using to clean the screens between colors might be clogging your screen.
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

I think the double print is caused by not enough spray tach, most likely. When using water base, you have to keep the screen flooded or the ink will dry in the mesh, causing missing print. I would try to find out the mesh count, that's very important. It does look like your flooding a bit to hard or are using a mesh that is to open for water base ink. How high is your off contact? Are you keeping ink on the screen for an extended period of time?
Rad_tee_shirt
Screen Trooper

Post by Rad_tee_shirt »

Thanks for the tips! I use screen wash purchased at the company who makes the paint.
I do use hardener in the paint, maybe that is the reason why the screen gets clogged up?

I guess I need to work on my flooding/pull technique.
Today I printed 18 shirts and I only messed up like 3. So I guess I am getting better at it. Also I got some perfect ones but still some that have a few flaws.
I also noticed that the viscosity of the paint seems to make a difference I. The end result. The white paint seems to be the easiest to work with.

Off contact is like 5mm or so. I also tape a coin at the end of the screen and the screen seems level.
There is no way to tell what the mesh count is. I do plan on getting new mesh on. The second screen I have. What size do you guys recommend for printing shirts?

I print continuously. It is not that I leave the screen flooded with ink and walk away.
I will try to use some more spay paint as well. Might be the reason for the double print, but like I mentioned, really need to work on my flood/push technique.

I enclosed some pics. Thanks for the feedback!

Dip.Schlitz
Squeegee Master

Post by Dip.Schlitz »

Can't really go wrong with a nice, tight 156.
Rad_tee_shirt
Screen Trooper

Post by Rad_tee_shirt »

Rad_tee_shirt wrote:Thanks for the tips! I use screen wash purchased at the company who makes the paint.
I do use hardener in the paint, maybe that is the reason why the screen gets clogged up?

I guess I need to work on my flooding/pull technique.
Today I printed 18 shirts and I only messed up like 3. So I guess I am getting better at it. Also I got some perfect ones but still some that have a few flaws.
I also noticed that the viscosity of the paint seems to make a difference in the end result. The white paint seems to be the easiest to work with.

Aaah! I typed this message at 2AM and made some typos. I corrected above :-)

Also I meant spray glue instead of spray paint. My bad, lack of sleep I am guessing :-D

drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

If the white is easiest to work with, I think the mesh count is probably to open. The pictures in your first post look like the ink is bleeding, which could mean the mesh is to open or the flood is a bit to hard. I would keep a close eye on the bottom(tee shirt side) of the screen. The ink is probably building up around the edges of the design. The off contact sounds about right but I keep it extremely low when printing thinner inks like water base or thin plastisol. I'm not sure if it helps but just something I've gotten used to doing. Lol.
Rad_tee_shirt
Screen Trooper

Post by Rad_tee_shirt »

drew wrote:If the white is easiest to work with, I think the mesh count is probably to open. The pictures in your first post look like the ink is bleeding, which could mean the mesh is to open or the flood is a bit to hard. I would keep a close eye on the bottom(tee shirt side) of the screen. The ink is probably building up around the edges of the design. The off contact sounds about right but I keep it extremely low when printing thinner inks like water base or thin plastisol. I'm not sure if it helps but just something I've gotten used to doing. Lol.
I appreciate all tips and info and I am willing to try everything to avoid bad end results. Thank you all!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Great tips. I agree. Maybe the mesh count needs to be better fit with the thickness of the ink. If the ink is very thin mix it well and use a higher mesh count like 160 or 200 and maybe even a 230 for some thin inks. Thicker more pasty inks we want to run on more open mesh like 110, 130, or perhaps a 156.

Make sure the screen is not moving between prints. It needs to register like a 2 color if you are double hitting. If you are applying heat in between prints make sure not to shrink the fabric or the ink. Just dry it to the touch. Always mix the inks well and I would try them straight without hardeners or anything. I never use water based textile inks that need hardeners to bond to the fabric so if it needs it to be wash safe then use it.

Thanks for using the forum!!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Rad_tee_shirt
Screen Trooper

Post by Rad_tee_shirt »

I will get new mesh on my second screen eventually and I will probably get 156.
The tip about not shrinking is valuable, I did not know that that could happen.
Since I am a hobby printer I use a heat gun, a flash cure unit is a bit out of my league financially :-)

The reason I don't use plastisol is otherwise I would need chemicals to clean everything while now
I use Eco friendly materials to clean the screen. I do this at home in my kitchen so don't want chemical fumes in the house.
Also I don't put on emulsion myself, I let this do at the place where I get my paint same reason as above.

Btw just want to mention I don't live in the States but in Belgium, Europe :-) otherwise I definitely would get
my supplies at your site.

Once again, thanks to all the forum members for the valuable tips!