Large run

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Jimdi77
Squeegee Master

Large run

Post by Jimdi77 »

I have a run of 1000 t-shirts coming up and I just had some questions. What considerations do I have to do in order to do such a large run on a manual press? Will the screens last that long or will I have to re-burn screens half way through. Does the emulsion need to be double coated on the screens to put it on thicker? What other things should I consider?

Thanks in advance.
Jim Wilson
Method Media.com
Saati
Instructor

Re: Large run

Post by Saati »

Although 1000 pc may be a long run for you... The emulsion, if coated properly and exposed properly should last well above 20-30k. If I were to recomend any special treatment I would say post expose it and tape your inkwell side. other than that you should have no new procedures.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I agree with Saati. It’s pretty much the same procedure technically. But I might throw in a few personal tips.

- Remember that flashing on press can slow things down so create artwork so that you may either print wet or minimize flashing. On longer print runs excessive flashing can be very time consuming.

- If you want to print plastisol inks wet consider buying and using inks specifically made for printing wet.

- You can leave a small line space between colors for the natural occurring bleed that will fill in when printing wet. That should give you cleaner lines where the colors meet.

- On longer print runs you may want to wipe down the back of the screens once or twice. Depending on how it is printing see where the print will look best with a screen wipe. That keeps print clarity very crisp during longer runs if needed.

Those are my personal initial thoughts. Oh and maybe get an anti-fatigue mat if you don’t already have one ;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Dip.Schlitz
Squeegee Master

Post by Dip.Schlitz »

I would recommend taping the shirt side of your screen, vertically, along the outside of the print area. Clear tape, masking tape, or both, or in tandem with old positives cut into strips. This keeps the sharp edges of the squeegees from leaving pinholes, which could lead to streaks of whatever color your printing. You may not even notice its happening as you're printing because you're looking more at the print, and not necessarily the entire shirt. As the day goes on, that squeegee gets heavy and you begin to drag it across the screen as opposed to shearing. It's that dragging that drives the ink into the coated mesh and eventually through it. It's a crappy surprise when you go to stack a days worth of printing and see streaks running the length of the print. Time to bust out the ol' spot gun, and that's never a fun way to end work. I suppose it could also have to do with your emulsion, exposure process, color of shirts, etc. Gotta love variables.
Jimdi77
Squeegee Master

Post by Jimdi77 »

Thanks guys all great things to be aware of. I post how it all comes out.