Light safe conditions

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

MrSpijker

Light safe conditions

Post by MrSpijker »

Hi all,

I started with a ryonet kit that included a yellow light safe bulb but it broke down quite rapidly -_-
Since none of the stores had light safe light bulbs I bought myself these orange safelight covers http://mrcad.co.uk/CarouselProductView. ... tegory=679
I can fit a 28 watt halogen bulb (E27, 370 lumen) in there and it seals real good.
Is it safe to use this kind of setup? I tested it in a dark space and it emits a nice red-orange light.

I believe I heard that the orange light safe bulbs are just regular bulbs with yellow coating. If this is true this setup cant go wrong I think.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts or give me some advice?

ps: my country is not very high on silkscreen / darkroom supplies.

Cheeryo!
Saati
Instructor

Re: Light safe conditions

Post by Saati »

MrSpijker wrote:Hi all,

I started with a ryonet kit that included a yellow light safe bulb but it broke down quite rapidly -_-
Since none of the stores had light safe light bulbs I bought myself these orange safelight covers http://mrcad.co.uk/CarouselProductView. ... tegory=679
I can fit a 28 watt halogen bulb (E27, 370 lumen) in there and it seals real good.
Is it safe to use this kind of setup? I tested it in a dark space and it emits a nice red-orange light.

I believe I heard that the orange light safe bulbs are just regular bulbs with yellow coating. If this is true this setup cant go wrong I think.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts or give me some advice?

ps: my country is not very high on silkscreen / darkroom supplies.

Cheeryo!
Technically safelight bulbs are just coated bulbs to block the UV output. An easy way to test if your bulb is safe :
coat a screen and let it dry in a totaly dark area
take the screen and place it in your safe light area and cover 90% of it with a peice of cardboard.
every 10 min move it 1 inch allowing more emulsion to be exposed to the light and mark the area now exposed.
repeat untill the entire screen is uncovered.
try and develop the screen and see if it has fogging or exposed areas.
the fogged areas are where the safe light is exposing the screen. With the marks and your time you can determine how long it is safe to work with your screen in that enviornment.

i hope that helps.
MrSpijker

Post by MrSpijker »

I'll give it a try.
Now would it be safe to coat my screen with this light combination?
Basement-dark is like, really dark :P Do 1 wash my screen out after exposing it 100% or would i notice the differences without washing out?

Thanks for your answer!
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

MrSpijker wrote:I'll give it a try.
Now would it be safe to coat my screen with this light combination?
Basement-dark is like, really dark :P Do 1 wash my screen out after exposing it 100% or would i notice the differences without washing out?

Thanks for your answer!
honestly.... my new lab is not finished yet and I do handle emulsion out of safe light (not recomended) . Coating and general handeling lasts only a few min so... You should be fine... just dont spend an hour doing it..
MrSpijker

Post by MrSpijker »

Best.answer.ever. :D
My printing is/was on hold because of my light doubts.
Will coat with the red cap and evaluate using your cardboard exposing tip.