Need help with Simulated vs Process Colors

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

jcprinting
Screen Trooper

Need help with Simulated vs Process Colors

Post by jcprinting »

I need help with Simulated vs. Process Colors but I need it simplified. I have read all about this on other forums and I am still confused. I just need it simplified here:

Process Colors is CMYK printed wet on wet with a underbase white and highlight white (6 color press). Is this right? The process colors usually you use 305 mesh, is this right? When you buy the inks you have to buy process color inks, correct?

Simulated process is done in RGB, right? It is when you use colors that are part of the design? I am very confused as to what this method is, and why anyone would want to use it.

Spot Colors are just solid colors and can also be halftones of a single or multi-color print but using the color ink for the color that you are printing, is that correct?

I have a "cartoon" style print (think of the cartoon South Park), it contains 9 colors. In another forum people mention that I need to print it on a press that can do 9+ colors. I have a 6 color press. I also was flooded with a bunch of different ways and it was way to confusing. I don't have any color separation software except QuikSeps. I don't really know how to use QuikSeps too well. However, I have done some of my own color separations in Photoshop. My problem is that the 9 color cartoon is vector and in CorelDraw x6. Now what do I do?

Thanks!
-Jim
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Need help with Simulated vs Process Colors

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay here is a basic rundown on the color separation methods with the exception of Index Separations which I am supposed to add but I need a new web guy so the main website is in need of some basic maintenance and updates.

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/sc ... thods.html

Index separations are simply taking say a 7 color design and choosing 3 or 4 of those colors. Then the index separation will simulate the full color image the best it can with the reduced color pallet. Index is not used very often as it can still produce a lot of colors to print and will most often have more screens than simulated process.

Four color process or CMYK is often done with a LPI of 55 to 65 on 305 to 355 mesh. You would use all special process inks for this with the exception of any under base which is a normal white ink.

Spot color is wide open mesh without any halftones. If you have a spot color with halftones we often refer to that as a spot and dot.

Quick Seps can do this for you. You just need to take the time to explore the PS add on and figure it out. I know the guy who made that is readily available and will help you out personally.

Convert the Corel Draw image to a high resolution TIFF of 1 megabyte or larger and then bring into PS to use QS. You should be able to save the vector art as an image file in Corel.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
jcprinting
Screen Trooper

Post by jcprinting »

Hi Jonathan,

First of all, Thank you for the help! As for your website, I am actually very good with webdesign. Too bad your not located closer. I'm in Western, NY and buried under several feet of snow. But if there is any help that you need with webdesign, let me know.

As for color separations: I just got super lucky yesterday. I have been talking to some people that own a t-shirt business that is closing out near me. I was talking about Separation Studio and they gave me their copy that they bought from Ryonet a while back. They said they won't be needing it anymore. I can't believe how lucky I was.

When I got QuikSeps it came with a DVD and I watch that time to time. There are just so many options and I never know really where to begin but I have contacted them in the past and they are very helpful.

Thank you for the rundown, it really does help and clear things up. Thank you very much for the help!

-Jim
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

You’re very welcome, thanks for joining the forum. I only hope I can help enough.

That sounds good. I think you can find a lot of information on that and even call them for help. Quick Seps is not easy to learn, that is true.

I’m not much help with art creation but I offer what little I know freely. I have been behind the press most of my life working for other people. And I have a brother who does great screen printing art ;)

But I’m glad to help out in any way I can.

Good luck!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions