Printing on 100% Cotton Canvas Fabric???

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Printing on 100% Cotton Canvas Fabric???

Post by Leadfoot »

So I have a client that wants patches for their jiu jitsu school that are sewn on to the students Gi's...the patches are a heavy 100% cotton canvas fabric. I have never printed on anything like that but am confident I can. But is there any specific ink that has to be used or since it is 10% cotton plastisol will be fine? His concern is the logo peeling off while being worn and beat up from rolling around and such...I am confident that as long as it is printed with the appropriate ink and cured properly that it will not be a problem.

Anyone have some insight into this? I am getting some scrap from him to do a few tests because I really want his business and he wants to give it to me but it is a legitimate concern since the place he has used before only fade slightly after severe beating up and many washes.
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Printing on 100% Cotton Canvas Fabric???

Post by drew »

I print directly on Gi's with no problem. I also just did a job printing on canvas drop clothes and they turned out great as well, all with plastisol. If printing on a patch, it should be no problem. It may eventually wear a little but they get treated pretty rough so that's to be expected. The GI material is very rough so its probably better to do a patch but its possible to print directly on them. I wish I could upload a picture of the GI's but my phone won't let me. Lol.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yes, as long as it is 100% cotton the plastisol will cure just fine. The heavier canvas patch or Gi will need to be cured longer to reach full temperature. Just see to that and you will be okay.

Also in my experience passing USED white Gi’s through a belt dryer often brings out stains in the fabric.

Don’t ask me why but it may look white going in but it could come out yellow and stained.... LOL. Not always but often it seems. I won’t print on used and laundered clothing for many reasons.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks! I will only be printing on patches though I could have another avenue if people want logos printed directly on their gi tops and/or bottoms. Appreciate the tips, I am looking forward to a new substrate! :) I'm with you Jonathan, won't print on already worn/laundered items or thin cheap stuff either. I have been able to educate several customers that all tees are not the same. They have thanked me for letting them know and have been so happy with their LF Shirts printed apparel! :)
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

I just started my own clothing line, Shred It Clothing. I am wanting to print and sew patches on work shirts. Where are you getting blank patches?
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

They are not "blank patches" the instructor at the jiu jitsu school is buying the cotton canvas fabric and having them cut to the required size...probably the most cost effective way even if blanks were available.