diy large format screen printing

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

coolchrismorris

diy large format screen printing

Post by coolchrismorris »

I am trying to learn how to print large, poster size, images (36 x 48), and want to do it by hand. How can I expose my image onto the screen? Where can I purchase large squeegee's, special tools? Know any special techniques? I saw a video where a guy was using a large squeegee connected to a pole that he would pull and drag to make the print. wondering where i could get something like that.

Any information on large screen printing and it's tools would be helpful and very much appreciated.

thank you
-Chris
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: diy large format screen printing

Post by Catspit Productions »

Well this is not really my forte but I’ll offer my 2 cents worth.

I can sell you any size squeegee you may need with a wooden handle up to 60”

The printing apparatus you mention is a manual poster or sign table. You can do big pieces of fabric with this type of set up as well. The squeegee mechanism may be attached to the table. Counter weights and/or pulleys for the squeegee bar and handle can be hung from the ceiling or may hang off the table.

It’s basically a large oversized squeegee holder that holds a squeegee with wooden handle into an arm that slides down a metal guide of sorts on one end of a heavy wooden table. It is often a metal dowel or rod that allows rollers to go up and down the shaft. The squeegee print arm is attached to that so it may hinge up and down while sliding back and forth in the down position. The squeegee holder on the arm might pivot to allow the squeegee to rest flat onto the table surface easily each time it is set down. The pressure is applied by the operators handle to achieve the screen print. Obviously there is also a screen mount that allows the screen to hinge up with the squeegee arm so you may place and remove substrates.

Smaller versions may be available. I’m not sure where to direct you for this however. I did a Google search and did not really find anything I would tell you to look at. I have not seen this type of manual table in a long time. I think they don’t make the type of equipment I am used to with this sort of thing. Newer versions may vary and be metal.

Perhaps someone else can help with this type of printing.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
kajun1950
Screen Trooper

Post by kajun1950 »

I just watched a large format printing video on you tube, guy was printing a beach towel. Here is link:

John
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yes, that is a very DIY manual set up. Most often this would be done on an automatic press of sorts and possibly a semi automatic flatbed as well. But you can certainly print large flats with hinge clamps, a screen and a squeegee.

Other manual flatbed print tables will have an apparatus to hold the screen and the squeegee so you can print with only one person.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions