Printing on sweatshirt material

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Platinum_clothing

Printing on sweatshirt material

Post by Platinum_clothing »

Hi, Im printing white plastisol ink on 50/50 sweatshirts through a 110 mesh screen and my image is not very detailed either. Im having an issue with the ink not completely clearing from the mesh. what could be the cause of this? There is enough spray tack and the garment is very well secured to the pallet. Any tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you!
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Printing on sweatshirt material

Post by drew »

I had that issue not long ago. I did start using a web tack, which holds the shirt down better since its thicker. Off contact may need to be adjusted up a little. What helped me most was using a newer screen, reducing the ink a little and preshrinking the shirt before printing. Also make sure the shirt isn't to hot before printing, that could cause the ink to stick in the screen but make sure you flash it fully.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Printing on sweatshirt material

Post by Catspit Productions »

I agree with drew.

Also check mesh tension and squeegee blade durometer as well as sharpness. If the mesh is badly hazed it will not clear easily either.

Sounds like you may be using that white that is infamous for being far too thick. Sometimes the ink can be the probelm too.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions