Opaque ink printing lumpy?

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

toiletries3000

Opaque ink printing lumpy?

Post by toiletries3000 »

Hi,

I'm printing on a dark shirt using Wilflex super opaque gold but I can't seem to get a smooth print. The Wilflex matte black prints fine, however. I've thinned the gold down with a little reducer and that helped a bit but it's still not looking good. I'm using 195 mess with a hard squeegee, I think 90 durometer. Off contact is about 1/4," pretty high. I'm flashing but I'm not getting a smooth print off the first pass so I don't think it has to do with the flasher. I can try thinning it more or I can try different inks I suppose. As I metioned the black prints fine.

Thank you, love your videos!
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Opaque ink printing lumpy?

Post by ApeShirt »

Lower your off contact. You should be no more than 1/8". Preferably less. That should help considerably.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

I had that issue when i first started and I found out if I waited a few seconds longer before printing the second pass, it helped a lot. The heat from the flash was causing some of the issue. I do think Greg is right, lowering off contact will definitely help. I also make a second pass to make sure all the ink is cleared before I flash it, if any ink is left in the screen it will build up in spots and look lumpy.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yes, lower that off contact. ¼ inch is way too high. Shoot for 1/16th if you possibly can. That should do it I would think. Wilfex is a good ink.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions