A Question on Emulsions

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Cujo31

A Question on Emulsions

Post by Cujo31 »

Hey Guys!

I am a Screen Printing instructor in a WI HS and I am always looking for new creative things to show my students.
I have really enjoyed your videos and find them extremely helpful.

However, I have a question for you. We currently use Kiwocol Poly-Plus S emulsion and it has given us very good results
in our environment and classroom... but I noticed something watching your videos... The emulsion you seem to use in most
of those has a VERY transparent look to it and allows for easier line up of screens. With the Kiwicol, we get a much more
opaque screen and at times, it makes line up, especially for students just learning, difficult at best.

Could this issue be with us "over scoop coating" our screens? Or is it the nature of the product we are using?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt D
Saati
Instructor

Re: A Question on Emulsions

Post by Saati »

Even though Polyplus is is not one of our products I will point you in a direction... Yes it is a dyed emulsion and the thicker you put it on the more opaque it will be. For line up issues we offer a clear version of some of our emulsions (clear is a relative term). You may want to also try a red dyed emulsion since it is arguably easier to se through.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: A Question on Emulsions

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thank you, I’m glad you found me and I'm happy I can help out.

I agree with Saati in that it could be a thicker coat which will result in less transparency. Also lower mesh counts by nature hold more emulsion so that may also contribute to a thicker stencil. If you use a double edged scoop coater use the thinner blade side and use firm pressure when coating. Do a 1/1 where you coat the substrate side and then the inkwell side. One pass for each side only.

Now it may be that the color of your emulsion is simply less transparent. I am not familiar with it. But I can tell you where to buy the blue emulsion I use in my videos. It happens to be a Saati emulsion:

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/saa ... on-gallon/

Also the pallet needs to be very clean with very black contrasting lines to see through. Then you can use the film positives to line up the screens by centering your key printer on the pallet with the film positive taped in place. Then you can line screens up to that. You should be able to see the design and registration marks very easily. You may also need to beef up your reg marks for easy visibility.

I hope you share my YouTube channel and website with your students ;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions