LOOKING FOR NON TOXIC EMULSION, POSSIBLY FDA APPROVED?

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

farnum1

LOOKING FOR NON TOXIC EMULSION, POSSIBLY FDA APPROVED?

Post by farnum1 »

I am a pastry chef/choclatier and I am using the screen printing process to make cocoa butter transfers for chocolates. Can anyone recommend an emulsion that could be used for this purpose.

Thanks for any help
Debra
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: LOOKING FOR NON TOXIC EMULSION, POSSIBLY FDA APPROVED?

Post by Catspit Productions »

I have no clue about that. Perhaps Saati may know if anything may exist for that purpose. Or something that may be used.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Saati
Instructor

Re: LOOKING FOR NON TOXIC EMULSION, POSSIBLY FDA APPROVED?

Post by Saati »

farnum1 wrote:I am a pastry chef/choclatier and I am using the screen printing process to make cocoa butter transfers for chocolates. Can anyone recommend an emulsion that could be used for this purpose.

Thanks for any help
Debra
I cannot tell you we have a FDA aproved emulsion but I can tell you many company that do this process use one our Textile PV emulsion for exactly what you are doing. We have had issues in the past with the Diazo powder/oil use for sensitizing dual cure and diazo emulsions. Pure photopylmers are not considered toxic and could be ingested with little effect on the human body. I cannot say the same for dual cure and diazo emuslions. Mind you these are safer than the old Bichromate emulsions. The biggest thing I can tell you is make sure your screens are completely exposed. If in doubt post expose your screens to make sure. (post exposure is where you expose, washout, and dry the screen as normal and then re-expose the screen for 2x the original time). This will ensure you have fully crosslinked the emulsion leaving nothing behind to react with the food.