Creating Artwork for use with RT Dry Stencil System

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

StarDust

Creating Artwork for use with RT Dry Stencil System

Post by StarDust »

Hi all! Great forum and thanks again for all this information, this forum is a huge help.

I am hoping that Chrissi or Jonathan might talk a bit about creating artwork for use with the RhinoTech Dry Stencil system. I use Adobe Illustrator. I've watched Jonathan's videos about the topic, and I love all of Chrissi's pics of her prints done with the system. It is mentioned that you would make film negatives, instead of film positives. Are you inverting the images, printing the opposite of what you'd do for a traditional film negative? Are you placing a thick black border around your graphics, to have solid stencil around the graphic on the screen? If you could talk a bit about what you need to do differently in your vector design software for creating artwork for the dry stencil, that would be great!

Also, are you taping the rest if the screen after applying the stencil, or do you use screen block, or both?

Thanks again for all your help!
-------
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Creating Artwork for use with RT Dry Stencil System

Post by Catspit Productions »

It’s quite simple actually. You can create the artwork as usual using the software of your choice. The you can “invert” the piece or “create negative.” The command may vary but software like Photoshop and Illustrator will be able to do it.

Basically we work with a negative rather than a positive. Since the dry stencil system is a direct transfer to the screen. You see when you use a positive to burn a screen it actually creates a negative on the screen because of the way the emulsion works. But with the dry stencil it transfers directly to the screen so it has to be a negative to start with.

Message Leadfoot and see if she will put in her 2 cents worth here. Also RhinoTech can help.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Sorry for the delay, been really busy lately and barely had time to get online at all.

I create an image of the actual sheet size in Photo Shop, 11x17 or 8.5x11 in 300dpi and get the graphic the size I want it in black. I place the image on the sheet image however desired, flatten it and invert so the background is solid black and image is white. Keep in mind you lose 1/4" all the way around the sheet and you don't want to print an image all the way to that border so for example if the image is tall I have a max image width of 10" on an 11x17 sheet.

You definitely want to make sure you are using a recommended laser printer for the dry stencil to ensure the stencil prints properly, I use the Go Uno myself and LOVE IT! I get nice solid black toner coverage though sometimes I do get some pinholes but some of that could be the screen where I didn't completely clean it. You want to degrease and completely dry it just like the traditional emulsion method to ensure a nice clean screen.

When I finally get the stencil successfully married to the screen I do tape the majority of it off because the screen block tends to come off easily when I clean the substrate side of the screen for a color change or my off contact not being set right. So I usually just use screen block for pin holes.

I think I answered everything, feel free to post here or e-mail me at leadfootshirts@gmail.com with any additional questions. I really love the RhinoTech Dry Stencil system and have had great success. It does have its down sides but for my purposes I have been having great results and it works!
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

So appreciate this help session and want to weigh-in to say that all information provided by Catspit and Leadfoot is accurate. Yes, images are inverted in a negative format so that when you print, the correct image will be produced. Either tape or block can be used; it’s your preference as Chrissi pointed out when describing how she uses each. When working with any new piece of equipment and product, there is always a learning curve, as you know. In conjunction with the recommended equipment, however, the dry stencil system can work for you (as Chrissi pointed out).
Thanks for questions and comments. We look forward to helping you be successful!

~Greg
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thank you very, very much Leadfoot and RhinoTech!

I appreciate the detailed responses here. Very nice.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

Happy to help and always available! ~g