Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

rodney

Post by rodney »

im having problems,,,i did some tests and they worked out fine,,,but when i went to expose the screen the screen wont wash out,,,COULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM ?

when i expose the screen,,i take the screen outside and spray it outside in the bright sunlight,,,using cold water from a hose,,,is the screen getting exposed more,,,the little tests worked fine,,,

should i be washing out in a dark room,,,i thought the water would keep the screen from exposing more,,is this my problem,,,im frustrated
thanks for your help,,,rodney
rodney

Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by rodney »

,,,,,SUCCESS,,,, ok, i thought just because i had water on the screen, then the exposing stopped,,,NO WAY,,,once i exposed the screen, i then took it into a YELLOW BUG LIGHT ROOM,,,and with water and a soft brush,,,started to rub the screen,,,the emulsion started to let go,,and in little time the unexposed emulsion washed out,,i then took it outside and hit it with the hose,,,and then that finished it off,,,,WOW,,,IT WORKED,,,i hope this helps someone, as i had a heck of a time figuring this out,,,the best of luck with all your work,,,rodney
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

It's ALWAYS best to washout in a light safe room. Especially when you do fine detail work. If you have to washout outside, put your screen in a black contractor bag as you take it outside. Once outside, work quickly in the shade. The less time in uv light the easier your life will be.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

True that Greg.

Thanks for posting rodney and letting us know how it turned out.

But that is true. The emulsion won’t really stop exposing when wet but if you wet it well before you turn on say a fluorescent backlight in a washout booth that is fine.

If you have to washout your screens in the daylight outside then do it in the shade for sure and keep the screen out of any light as much as possible as ApeShirt suggested.

Thanks for joining the forum!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions