Metal Halide exposure time in light units?

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

pixeldesire

Metal Halide exposure time in light units?

Post by pixeldesire »

I have a metal halide 1000 watt vacuum unit.
I am very accurate with my exposures using Ryonets WDP emulsion but I have recently started to look at photo polymer emulsions like Saati PHU or HiFi. Over been doing research and I see people commenting that it takes them "160 light units" to expose. So please can someone school me on what the measurement stands for in regards to time? And how I can put that into perspective on how my unit would work with a certain emulsion.

Thank you

Andre
Saati
Instructor

Re: Metal Halide exposure time in light units?

Post by Saati »

Basicaly a "light unit" is a unit of measurement used by the light integrator. Only exposure systems that use a light integrator use this. The light integrator is a device that uses a photocell to determine how much light (in the proper wave length) is seen during the exposure. When a integrator is calibrated (fresh bulb and fresh photocell) one light unit equals to 1 second. As the bulb ages the amount of UV the bulb emits will decrease (even though it is still bright to look at). The photocell captures this information and feeds it back to the integrator which will compensate for this uv loss and extend the total time. So after 6 months 1 unit wont equal 1 second anymore it may equal 2.5 seconds (this example is just a simple explination and may not reflect your actual measurements). A properly calibrated integrator will help maintain a consistant exposure over the life of the bulb (typically 1000hours of use).
pixeldesire

Re: Metal Halide exposure time in light units?

Post by pixeldesire »

Thank you for the response.