first prints

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

bbmfab
Screen Trooper

first prints

Post by bbmfab »

so I got my screens made, second ones turned out, first ones not so much!!!! so I did a couple test prints and the design is 13" wide and the outer edges stuck to the screen then I noticed my pallet is warped bad!!! or what i think is bad, i was printing white on black shirts, off contact was almost touching in middle and the sides were more than a quarter inch off contact, will having a flat pallet fix my ink lifting, I assume i am not getting good pressure with the sides so far off and the ink is not getting pressed into the shirt, also my white ink seems much thinker than what i see in some videos more tooth pastish
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Re: first prints

Post by drew »

A flat pallet is a must. That should fix your problem. As far as the ink being thick, white ink is thicker than other inks but if its extremely thick you could add a small amount of curable reducer to it. I would suggest trying to mix it very well in the container to see if that helps before adding any reducer. The reducer will lessen the opacity of the ink.
bbmfab
Screen Trooper

Post by bbmfab »

yeah made a new one and they came out great!!! made a few shirts last night, figured I would jump right in and do white on black!! and they came out great, the press held registration, I was worried the first time i lifted off and dropped back down and landed right on its mark!!!! thanks to this forum and the videos I was able to go from not knowing anything to burning my own screens to setting up the press and printing with no major problems!!!
bbmfab
Screen Trooper

Post by bbmfab »

a little of what i did last night, just single color but I am pretty happy with my first time prints