Gotta Start My T-Shirt Business already!

This section should relate directly to the Catspit Screen Printing Forum or to general questions that do not seem to fit other categories. Feel free to post anything here that does not fit into any other category.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

DianaKTX

Gotta Start My T-Shirt Business already!

Post by DianaKTX »

Hello all, I'm new here. I discovered Jonathan's youtube.com page (I'm subscribed) and have really enjoyed all of his wonderful educational vids as well as tips and time for that matter! There is soooo much stuff to look through for which I am grateful, but I just have one question that I need a little direction on. I am sure that all of the apparel (or otherwise) print vets at this forum can easily answer these out-loud thoughts I've had lingering. I want to start a small t-shirt business - (uh yea, along with all the rest of the world) and I need to get started on the very simplest and most affordable scale possible, AND, I'd like to produce a finished "quality" product. What is the best avenue to do that?

I've seen the heat presses and find these extremely affordable. I know what type t-shirts I would use and those are also affordable - it looks as though I can order them from catspit (as a big thanks for the free tips). Finding a way to produce artwork is obviously one of the biggest parts to making t-shirts (I have yet to research the catspit site but I just saw a lesson to watch there a few moments ago which I plan to return to after this thread is posted). I have an imac and hp photosmart printer - can I use these to produce heat transfers from, unless someone suggests something otherwise.

I have been "dreaming" about starting a t-shirt business for years but just haven't been able to put enough scratch together to do it full scale. It takes some money to get screen printers and so many other things have been happening. But if I could just start already even if just on a small scale, I know I can sell my t-shirts, I just need to get'em done affordably. Once I start to bring in sales, I can put together the money needed to grow from there. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks so much! :roll:

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I didn't see where else to put it.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Gotta Start My T-Shirt Business already!

Post by ApeShirt »

Check out RhinoTech's SingleJet inkjet transfer paper. These work only on white (best) and pastel colored shirts as there is not a white printer ink for your HP printer. You'll need to trim around your printed image the best you can as they are not weedless paper. RhinoTech is a Catspit partner and you can access their website through the Catspit main page. Another option, and better in my opinion, is to get a color laser printer (Oki preferred but almost any except most HP's) and use the SingleStep transfer paper. It too is for white or pastel color shirts (for now) but it is weedless so no trimming is needed as it transfers only the toner from the printer. RhinoTech may be releasing a separate white toner in the near future that would allow SingleStep to be used on dark shirts as well.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
DianaKTX

Post by DianaKTX »

ApeShirt wrote:Check out RhinoTech's SingleJet inkjet transfer paper. These work only on white (best) and pastel colored shirts as there is not a white printer ink for your HP printer. You'll need to trim around your printed image the best you can as they are not weedless paper. RhinoTech is a Catspit partner and you can access their website through the Catspit main page. Another option, and better in my opinion, is to get a color laser printer (Oki preferred but almost any except most HP's) and use the SingleStep transfer paper. It too is for white or pastel color shirts (for now) but it is weedless so no trimming is needed as it transfers only the toner from the printer. RhinoTech may be releasing a separate white toner in the near future that would allow SingleStep to be used on dark shirts as well.
Thanks so much! I was just watching Creating Screen Printing Artwork & Film on youtube and Jonathan was just talking about epson printers and inkjet films. Epson can be pricey if I remember correctly, maybe not so much compared to others. I haven't looked into the Oki but I will now. The SingleSstep transfer paper is a great resource, thanks for sharing this with me. Looking forward to the latest news or product of white toner for SingleStep on dark tees, that would be really great!
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

You're very welcome! Another option without screen printing is heat transfer vinyl. You can get a decent, entry level vinyl plotter for a reasonable price. This will allow you to easily do one-offs if they are simple designs. Also you can get a lot of work doing names and numbers on sport apparel. Plus it'll give you the option of doing vinyl decals, banners, vehicle lettering, etc. if so desire. If you can't get a plotter, there are companies that sell pre-cut vinyl for names and numbers. I have my own 30" plotter and it paid for itself within 3 months. Having a heat press and plotter can open create many opportunities besides just shirts. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

As you continue your research, I wanted to make you aware of the smartDESIGNER™ X6 Creative Assistant Digital Art Pack that RhinoTech offers with it's RT Digital Transfer Entry Pack (there are several Packs to choose from). It's a streamlined system that produces some pretty amazing designs. Check it out @: http://www.rhinotechinc.com/screen-prin ... try%20Pack. Good luck on reaching your goal!
DianaKTX

Post by DianaKTX »

Thanks again, Ape Shirt and Rhino Tech for the good resources. Right now I just want to concentrate on tees but I may be interested in other media down the road. Thanks so much. The smartDESIGNER X6 Creative Assistant Digital Art Pack sounds interesting. I'll be taking a look into that on the link you've provided. Thank you again. I really appreciate your help and info. :P
DianaKTX

Post by DianaKTX »

I checked out the link Rhino Tech posted - wow... looks like something that I can do. Putting a call into the office there in MN to inquire about what the Digital Art Pack consists of. Thanks!!