Steps to replace rubber top on aluminum platen?

This section should relate directly to the Catspit Screen Printing Forum or to general questions that do not seem to fit other categories. Feel free to post anything here that does not fit into any other category.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Hurricane Printing

Steps to replace rubber top on aluminum platen?

Post by Hurricane Printing »

Do you have a tutorial video on the steps on removing a rubber top from an aluminum platen? I recently melted one of my rubber tops...I left it under the flash while the flash was on. It's an M&R aluminum platen. I have to remove the melted rubber, clean platen, install new rubber top.

A tutorial on this would be helpful.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Steps to replace rubber top on aluminum platen?

Post by Catspit Productions »

Well it really depends on how the rubber is attached to the pallet. For a manual press where we may often put the pallet rubber on ourselves I only use some flash web tack or flash tack and I spray both the pallet and the bottom of the rubber. Then I lay it down on the pallet. Normally under multi-color printing circumstances this will suffice and it will not move.

So removing it is as easy as peeling it up and cleaning the pallet off. Then you replace the rubber using the sprat tacks to adhere the rubber to the pallet.

I really don’t know how your rubber is attached and what it takes to replace it. I would ask M&R about that specifically.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Hurricane Printing

Post by Hurricane Printing »

Thanks...and the rubber is adhered to it with adhesive. M&R told me to put it under the flash to heat it up then scrape it off. I will try that.
OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

If going that route, you might want to use a plastic , non-metallic scraper so that you decrease the chance of marring or scoring the aluminum when you scrape it.