My Screen Is Washing Out

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

K-sweat

My Screen Is Washing Out

Post by K-sweat »

Hello, I've been trying my best to create my screens but it seems that every time I make one with my design on it, as soon as I put water on it, it completely starts to wash away. It turns into a complete mess that I cannot use. I wanted to know what to do in this situation because now I've already spent almost all of my emulsion in my trial and error situations.
Also, when I am first applying emulsion, I always get huge bubbles that take up the screen and I know that's not supposed to happen. If you could please help me out that would be very much appreciated.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: My Screen Is Washing Out

Post by ApeShirt »

Definitely sounds like you are underexposing the screens. Increase your exposure time. Bubbles can be caused by a couple of things. If you are stirring the emulsion, let it sit with the lid laying on the container leaving a little gap for the air to escape.In a light-safe environment of course. Let it sit for a while so the air bubbles escape. Also, be sure there aren't many in your scoop coater either after poring it in. And be sure to use decent pressure on your screen with the scoop coater and don't go too fast. You want to hear the scoop coater 'zip' across the screen as you are coating it.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
K-sweat

Post by K-sweat »

Ok ill try this out, but my exposure time right now is at about 10 minutes with a 500 watt halogen light my emulsion is WBP Hybrid Photo Emulsion which I got all of this from a starter kit.
It gets extremely hot whenever im exposing so recently I put a near in order to keep the temperatures cooler.
Am I doing anything wrong as of right now?

I also read but am not sure of if, I should leave the screen to expose in light for an additional 5 minutes after your normal exposing in order to make sure it is able to wash away, but I have not tried this.
Thank you.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

I don't use the same exposure system so I'm not able to tell you how long to expose. Another thing, are you certain the emulsion is dry on the screen before exposing? As far as additional exposing, the only thing I am aware of is exposing it again AFTER washout. This post-hardening can help the stencil to hold up longer for long runs.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Post by Shamax »

Welcome to the forums! I used to use the same WBP dual cure emulsion and a 500w halogen. Like ApeShirt just said DEFINITELY make sure you emulsion is dry on the screen before you try to burn the image into it. If it's dry, I used to do expose my screens for 12ish minutes, Nd that was with the safety glass removed from the halogen light. If the glass is still in place on yours, remove it - it blocks the UV rays which is what does the work of curing the emulsion.

I lucked out and won a giveaway for some Autosol Neptune emulsion from Macdermid Autotype that Jonathan was giving away, and I HIGHLY recommend it! Cure times for me are 6mins 45secs, and washout goes waaay smoother. I burned 2 screens last night and washed them out in about 45 minutes (with setup and cleanup). With the WBP emulsion, that would have been more like 2-3 hours and the stencil wouldn't have come out nearly as nice.
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch
K-sweat

Post by K-sweat »

Thanks so much guys. I got it to work, I incorporated both of what you guys have said and I was able to create it!