How is this design printed?

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

rkarr

How is this design printed?

Post by rkarr »

I can separate it. I will drop the flesh color and do the red, blue and mix as screens. The lines in the face will be dropped as well. I am using gimp for my separations, I have lots of practice and can do it. I just dont know about this printing. Does this method have a name?

Should I dot separate the red and blue, or should I make 3 screens and use 3 inks? Does this process use magenta and cyan with a dot sep?

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
face.jpg
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: How is this design printed?

Post by ApeShirt »

Not totally understanding what you're saying but it looks to be a simple spot color job. White (unless that's your substrate color), red and blue. You can use gradients for the blue.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: How is this design printed?

Post by Catspit Productions »

This looks like a posterization. That is a photo that has been separated into a few high contrast ranges to graphically represent tones.

This would be a simple spot color print. I would not use any halftones for this at all. If you eliminate the flesh color then all you have to print is red and 2 blues. That is a 3 color. Then you would use the 3 inks that best represent the colors in the original image.

Doing this with dot will change the look and it’s unnecessary.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions