Whats causing this...(pic)

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

farry1988
Screen Trooper

Whats causing this...(pic)

Post by farry1988 »

So ive been having this problem where im getting a ghost print, this happens on my second pass......second pass, not hit, no flash involved...screen comes down first pass, fine, second pass to make sure all the ink is cleared this is when its happening! I'm assuming its to do with squeegee angle? I use a push stroke and try my very best to get the same angle each time, any help would be much appreciated
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Re: Whats causing this...(pic)

Post by Leadfoot »

Is there ink being left on the shirt side of the screen? That is what it looks like to me...when it happens to me it is because of the off contact not being set right. And it could be too much pressure when printing as well. I am sure others have some more input.
farry1988
Screen Trooper

Post by farry1988 »

hey, thanks for the reply! im not pressing too hard while printing, don't get me wrong there is abit of pressure to get the white ink to clear. I didn't about off contact as its not sticking or feel too high but It does sound like it could be to be honest, its like the screen isn't coming down in the same place twice, ill give it a try and keep you informed
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Oh yeah I know you have to use some pressure but I know I can be guilty of trying to press too hard. :)

What about your press...is it holding proper registration? If so I am betting it may be the off contact, either too high or too low. Mine is generally from being too high and pushing too much ink through to get a good thick print.
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Post by Shamax »

I tried looking at this at work yesterday, but the image wouldn't come up for some reason, but I see it now. Did you say you're lifting the screen then setting it back down for the 2nd hit, or are you just doing 2 strokes without lifting the screen? If you're lifting the screen it almost looks like it's not holding registration since the blurriness is always slightly below and to the right like that. Definitely check your off-contact as well, but I would think that if it were solely your off contact and stroke pressure, the blotchiness would be a bit more random and uneven.
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch
farry1988
Screen Trooper

Post by farry1988 »

hey guys,

Im not lifting the screen, just doing 2 straight strokes, id put the shirt on - screen down - stroke - stroke - flash - stroke, for a normal print. Off contact is fine releveled it today. I have registration problems quiet often :( I was printing a 3 colour design today which took me about 3 hours to line up then half way through the run it funnily enough was out slightly below and to the right ''/ but ive printed 2 colour designs before and not had a problem, is it possible that only some of the arms don't hold reg? thanks again guys
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Could the shirt be rolling? Got enough adhesive down?
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
nswpr
Senior Screen Printer

Post by nswpr »

That happened to me when I don't have enough adhesive on the palette and had made a lot of shirt. Put some more adhesive and clean every 4 to 5 shirts the t-shirt side of the screen.
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Post by Shamax »

farry1988 wrote:hey guys,

Im not lifting the screen, just doing 2 straight strokes, id put the shirt on - screen down - stroke - stroke - flash - stroke, for a normal print. Off contact is fine releveled it today. I have registration problems quiet often :( I was printing a 3 colour design today which took me about 3 hours to line up then half way through the run it funnily enough was out slightly below and to the right ''/ but ive printed 2 colour designs before and not had a problem, is it possible that only some of the arms don't hold reg? thanks again guys
Sounds like 1 of two things: Not enough adhesive on the pallet or your print-head is getting jarred/moved by your stroke. You say you're not raising the screen, but you're "flashing" - flashing usually means you're lifting the screen and hitting the shirt/substrate with heat in order to partially dry it and allow for better ink coverage on the next stroke. Do you mean "flooding"? Flooding is when you lightly pull/push ink back over your design in order to fill the mesh with ink.

If adhesive is the problem, personally recommend getting a roll of double-sided pallet tape. It works wonders for the small run jobs that I usually do, and it washes down easily for re-use. It also means less sprays/chemicals/etc to keep track of ;)
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch
farry1988
Screen Trooper

Post by farry1988 »

Hi shamax,

Flash is regardless in this situation, it's not happening after I flash its happening on the second pass, here is how I would print the shirt

Screen down - pass - 2 pass to clear ink (happening now) - flash - pass

It does seem like the carousel is getting "jarred" as I'm using lots of adhesive, not sure what else it could be!