GCC Expert 24

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

upperhandprinting
Senior Screen Printer

GCC Expert 24

Post by upperhandprinting »

Not sure if I should put this in this category, creating films, or the vinyl transfer category. So if you feel it should move, feel free. Here's the idea and issue I'm having. I constantly am trying new things and pushing my limits. It forces me to learn how to do more things and when I get them right I can offer more things to customers.

As some of you may know. I'm getting in to printing skateboards. The press I'm building can use normal screens to print on the flat part of the board "between the wheels". But I'm also building and stretching "curved" screens to print from tip to tip on the board. Covering the entire board with an image. Obviously having a screen with 3 angles brings up a number of problems from conventional printing methods. The biggest is how to create a stencil on the screens. So that's the problem. I have a solution, but now I need to learn how to do it correctly.

My plan is to cut vinyl using the GCC Expert 24 plotter, and use that to create the stencil on the screen. Taping off the sides of the screen, just as if it were emulsion. This will eliminate the curves being an issue with exposing emulsion on a screen.

We only use our plotter to cut names on thermoflex and heat press them. I finally got the plotter to cut a design, but as far as how to prepare the artwork, I'm completely lost. I know it has to be a vector file for the plotter to read it, but other than that, I'm searching for answers.

I have a trial of Great Cut software, but would love to print directly out of illustrator. Does anyone know how to do this or know of tutorials/videos that could help?

Sorry for the long post, but I like being thorough. Take care everyone.

Thanks!
Craig
Upper Hand Printing - Custom band merch
http://www.upperhandprinting.com
Trumpet The Harlot - My band
http://www.trumpettheharlot.com