How Would I Do This?

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

How Would I Do This?

Post by Leadfoot »

So I have had someone ask me to do a project similar to this:
Front:
Inside Front upside down:

I can do the front, my design of course, but don't think my set up will allow me to do this without getting some assistance from hopefully someone here. I assume it will involve halftones for the monochrome part of the face (my design again) and a red screen for the blood.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: How Would I Do This?

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay so the front print is pretty simple. You can print white under everything and print the red over that. It appears to be all spot with some blood spattering effects. Vector blood splatters are actually pretty easy to find online. So you could assemble the front with clip art and fonts with the exception of any logos needed.

The inside print will require a 2 color halftone. I see this is one of those shirts you’re supposed to pull over your head to reveal the zombie head over your own. Novel. Most guys don’t have the figure for that... LOL.

Now I am no expert at how to create the blood effect on the face. But basically if you create the effect in full color composite you can host separate it in Illustrator and output the 2 halftone screens for the white and the red. The red could be done as a spot color too I think. It would be best it the red over prints the white. Higher contrast images work best when half toned.

I will be doing a 1 color halftone video very soon that may help some with this. It’s been a little delayed due to print work but we should get to it within a month. In that video I will show you how to output the film positive as a halftone directly from Illustrator to RIP software.

Alright, I’m not sure if that was actually of any help... ;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

My 2cents. The blk/wht halftone of the face has to be done as a halftone to catch the detail IMHO. The red, when you separate that channel in Illustrator or Photoshop, the halftone is produced automatically does it not? You could perhaps vectorize the red chanell into a spot color since it lays after the white., the white halftone is going to need two strokes to be crisp...and it'll have to register between strokes too of course..
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks guys, so it will not be as hard as I was thinking...hard part will be finding the right face and getting someone local to make the screen for me. Since I use the dry stencil system I don't think I could get it to look right. The front white and red and under front red should be easy for me to do...