Curing ink without conveyor unit

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Curing ink without conveyor unit

Post by ApeShirt »

Distance from substrate depends on how fast you want to cure and if you have a temp control like Jonathon does. I USUALLY have mine about 2.5" above the substrate. Sometimes less if I'm doing a 1-color on light garment. As far as drying the whole image, if I have a large print (12x12 or larger) I have to move my dryer to cover the whole thing. Even though I have a 16x16 flash dryer, I find it really only covers about 12x12 fairly evenly. But I still find myself having to move it a bit to insure the whole print is being heated high enough unless it's placed perfectly.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

I do not have temp control, hoping to be able to purchase it soon because it gets so darn hot! Got to watch when I cure white ink and especially poly ink. Mine is usually about 4-5 inches from the shirt due to the extremely high temp. I also use a temp gun and make sure it gets to at least 330-340 for regular ink and about 300 for poly...you really have to watch when you do 100% poly apparel, it will burn/melt VERY easily!
OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

great video Jonathan. Um...the audio at 9:10 was unexpected...lol..I dont like to have to F#%@ with the knob either.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

LOL... thanks Neil! You do know I said "fuss" not that other word it may have sounded like ;)

I'm "G" rated man!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions