Choke on underbase

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

jyi1995

Choke on underbase

Post by jyi1995 »

I have a design that is white and red to be printed on a black t-shirt. The design has large text and an arrow head with an indian chief head inside of it. The design is going to be all white with parts of the black shirt showing thru for lines, etc and one word will be in red. I am thinking that I need to do an underbase for the whole design and then a screen for just the word that will be red. There is some fine detail on the indian head so I am not sure what size of mesh to use and if I can get away with only doing a screen for the underbase and one screen for the red lettering on the one word. My question is, how do I apply choke to only that one word that will have the red ink applied to it and how many screens should I use. I am using illustrator cs4 but can't seem to get it to come out right. If you could give me the steps to applying the choke that would be great.

Thanks so much.

jyi1195
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Choke on underbase

Post by Catspit Productions »

Hey thanks for joining the forum and posting!

Well, personally I am no Illustrator expert but if it’s a font and objects with fill and stroke then you could use that perhaps to choke it in the artwork some. Use the stroke with maybe a .25 line point depending on how much you want the choke.

Otherwise you could just over expose the screen you want to choke. If you double or triple the exposure time the light will have enough time to begin to come around the artwork on the film positive thus choking it some. You could lose detail if the design has it and you over expose too long. You may have to test that some.

Maybe someone else could help out with Illustrator more.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Re: Choke on underbase

Post by ppdlao »

No clue :| , I don´t like illustrator, for me the tools are harder to manage than Corel's, I prefer Corel Draw, it's easier , how did you make it?