Printing on zip up jackets?

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

B2G707

Printing on zip up jackets?

Post by B2G707 »

I've seen lots of zip up jackets that are printed on the front. How do you print on the front of a zip up jacket and it come out very clean?
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Printing on zip up jackets?

Post by ApeShirt »

Best way is to have a platen that is router down the center, creating a recess for the zipper to fit in. I've seen some people build up the platen with cardboard or such and leave a gap for the zipper to recess into. If you do that be sure to tape it in place securely onto the platen.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
B2G707

Post by B2G707 »

Thank you seems this is going to be a challenge.
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

B2G707 wrote:I've seen lots of zip up jackets that are printed on the front. How do you print on the front of a zip up jacket and it come out very clean?

Have you found the "Zipper Platen"?.. I was just looking at RANAR's web site, they have one, and CATSPIT is actually a RANAR dealer!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

LOL, that’s true Pepe! Thanks.

There are zipper boards you can buy. If you’re like me without wood working tools or wood working skills then it’s easiest to buy one. Or perhaps you could take Apeshirt’s idea to the next level and just wood glue to adhere ¼ inch or so wood sheets to an existing pallet you have. Use two pieces that are small enough to be set at the edges of the pallet leaving a groove in the middle.

Or we could get you the RANAR 18x20 zipper board without a bracket so you can get a bracket for your press and attach it.

It would cost like $60 or less plus shipping.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

I was looking to that Chinese Screen printing Video, where printing around the t shirt necks, they used Foam, do a pair of foam sheets could do this zipper printing job too?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Maybe, you may be able to put the foam on the pallet with a space in the middle just as if you were to do as I described above with wood. It might work but I have never done anything like that so you’ll just have to try it out.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

so you’ll just have to try it out.
I will! you´ll see, the local t shirt vendor has 4 new Jackets models (they didn´t sell them), and after the San Valentine's day I´m thinking on printing some jackets! I will give the foam sheet a try!, I´ll let you know what happens