Art work opinion and help

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Art work opinion and help

Post by Free Man »

So I have recently had a customer send me this art to print some shirts up. I want to know opinions and thoughts from you guys on the text, or font? It actually took me a second to figure what its supposed to say. It says Triple l Plumbing. Do you think I should recommend changing it so that its more easily read? How would you say it to the customer? Thanks.......tried to load the pic. and the forum said its too big. I will change it and load it up here later, sorry.
Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Art work opinion and help

Post by Free Man »

Well havent up loaded the pic yet but dont need to, I have already spoke to the customer about changing the font. They want to stick with what it is because it has been the same for ever. Of course i said thats fine and I will print what ever they want, just giving options. Any how, yeah, yeah, thanks any ways.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

That always seems to be the case. The customer will most often default to what they have been suing for some time. But you were right to stop and question this. As the professional it’s your job to offer better solutions and make the customer aware of potential problems with their artwork and print job.

So this was a good thing for you to do and offer and as long as you do it in a friendly way that is only an option rather than a critique then you should be fine.

I was waiting to see if you would load the image but either way if you provide excellent customer service then your business will thrive. With printing a wearable good you want to be sure that the customer is completely aware of what is being printed.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Free Man »

Hello, I need help with making this just a one color black ink image to print. Normally I use gimp to create or modify simple art work. the most I print are one and two color stuff, I have done 3, but only once. Im about to start the process of learning Corel Draw, which Im sure would be of help here. I realize there is multiple colors and shadings here. I have told the customer (friend with patience) that Im not sure I could work with this quality of image. Curious what some one out there would say or do if a customer sent them this?? Thank You!
Attachments
RockNSoil (1) (1).jpg
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Well this could be converted to vector as a spot color. Then you could size it, add text, eliminate text or add design elements if you wanted to. If converted to vector the gray shading would be eliminated and the drop shadow on the text would be changed or removed.

It also could be done as a 1 color halftone with spot colors. That would give you the shading and the line work as well as text. You would have to know how to output halftones which can be complicated so maybe a spot color would be best.

I could probably convert this to vector for you. Conversions start at $25 and go up from there. This would probably be $35. I’d have to quote it with my artist. You would need to open it with Corel and print film positives.

Anyway I hope that helps some. Artwork can be very challenging. I still send out a lot of my artwork because I simply don't have the time to learn everything.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions