Capillary Film washout issues

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

playdirtyapparel

Capillary Film washout issues

Post by playdirtyapparel »

Hi All-

Currently I use capillary film to create my stencils. It seems that as the weather in my area starts to cool off for the season I am experiencing issues with my stencils. The stencil washes out, but it seems that the emulsion starts to almost wrinkle or shrink and sometimes, it will not wash off, but shift on the screen. Am I underexposing the screen or am I using too much water pressure? Currently I use a shower head to spray my screens out but I let the water run over the entire screen until I see them image start to appear then turn the shower sprayer on to wash the stencil out. I did read on the spec sheet that I shouldn't be spraying both sides of the stencil with water, only the print side and that as the stencil starts to appear to reduce pressure, I haven't tried that yet, but any suggestions or ideas would really be appreciated. The other thing that I am baffled by is that during the summer I do not experience this issue, but I only burn my screens at night becuase I have found during the day the stencil will not wash out at all sometimes. I am sure there are a few seperate issues at hand here, but I am finding that screen burning consistency seems to be my biggest and most frustrating issue and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Saati
Instructor

Re: Capillary Film washout issues

Post by Saati »

playdirtyapparel wrote:Hi All-

Currently I use capillary film to create my stencils. It seems that as the weather in my area starts to cool off for the season I am experiencing issues with my stencils. The stencil washes out, but it seems that the emulsion starts to almost wrinkle or shrink and sometimes, it will not wash off, but shift on the screen. Am I underexposing the screen or am I using too much water pressure? Currently I use a shower head to spray my screens out but I let the water run over the entire screen until I see them image start to appear then turn the shower sprayer on to wash the stencil out. I did read on the spec sheet that I shouldn't be spraying both sides of the stencil with water, only the print side and that as the stencil starts to appear to reduce pressure, I haven't tried that yet, but any suggestions or ideas would really be appreciated. The other thing that I am baffled by is that during the summer I do not experience this issue, but I only burn my screens at night becuase I have found during the day the stencil will not wash out at all sometimes. I am sure there are a few seperate issues at hand here, but I am finding that screen burning consistency seems to be my biggest and most frustrating issue and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
If the stencil is wrinkeling up then I would say it is under exposed, or the screen was not degreased properly before the film was applied.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thanks Saati!

Yeah underexposure would make the emulsion more absorbent to water. I didn’t think of that. I can tell you that in the summertime I cannot burn screens during the day either because the emulsion is too hot. High humidity can also cause problems when burning screens.

But yeah the degreasing will be critical with cap films and direct emulsions. So this could be a combination of poor mesh prep, underexposure and perhaps time in the water. Unless the stencil is being semi cured due to poor film positives which will then cause you to spend more time in the washout booth using more pressure to force the stencil out. Make sure your film positives are 100% opaque. That will help you dial in the correct exposure time.

Idealistically we want to spend the least amount of time in the washout booth as possible. So immediately after the stencil washes out you want to get out of the water and let the screen dry. If it is taking too long to washout the stencil then you have to adjust that and lesson the time.

Even with a properly exposed screen if you spend too much time washing out you will find the emulsion wanting to get soaked with water and release from the screen mesh. Especially in high detail areas.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
playdirtyapparel

Post by playdirtyapparel »

Thanks all that is all VERY helpful!!!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin