Leadfoot's RhinoTech-RhinoScreen Dry Stencil Print Jobs

Catspit Productions is an authorized RhinoTech dealer and we can offer the complete line of their top quality products. If you don’t see it on the website please give us a call for sales assistance. Here you can discuss RhinoTech equipment and supplies. You may direct questions to RhinoTech as they may respond directly here.

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/

Moderators: RhinoTech, Catspit Productions

Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Leadfoot's RhinoTech-DryStencil Print Jobs

Post by Catspit Productions »

ApeShirt wrote:Ok, disregard my question. I just saw one of Jonathon's videos about this in another thread. My new question :ugeek: is what are the advantages or disadvantages, if any, compared to using emulsion for a stencil? The only immediate advantage I see is not having to wait for the emulsion to dry. The disadvantage I see is that in order to do larger prints you need a large heat press. Any others?
The biggest advantage is that for screen making you eliminate film positives, chemicals, water, exposure units, washout booths, drains and waste water concerns. Also in order to get larger prints you need a larger laser printer that can output maybe 11x17 sheets. Then of course perhaps a heat press to fit.

Leadfoot would be able to comment on the cons better than I can. I have not worked with the system this extensively.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

ApeShirt wrote:Ok, disregard my question. I just saw one of Jonathon's videos about this in another thread. My new question :ugeek: is what are the advantages or disadvantages, if any, compared to using emulsion for a stencil? The only immediate advantage I see is not having to wait for the emulsion to dry. The disadvantage I see is that in order to do larger prints you need a large heat press. Any others?
Probably the biggest disadvantage is being limited to 11x17 inch prints, but the adhesive sheet you apply right now is about 1/4" around smaller than the sheet so the biggest print I do is about 15" wide x 10" high or reversed depending on the artwork being tall or wide. They said they are looking into making the adhesive sheet the same size in the near future. Also, I don't generally save screens to save space in my limited work room so I cannot speak from experience on how well the screens hold up if cleaned and stored. I have had them around for a couple weeks with no problems but my guess is that they may not hold up as long as properly emulsion coated and exposed screens.

One other thing is the paper is not too forgiving with not quite 300dpi graphics, and I don't think halftones are even doable. Real super thin lines are also not possible but I have been able to get pretty thin. As long as your images are at least 300dpi there should be no problems, and as long as you have a quality laser printer. I have been able to get sub 8 point font on it looking sharp as can be, I was amazed and pleased!

The big A with Anomaly text I actually did with two 11x17" sheets. When I bought the system from RhinoTech I got their 16x20 heat press so that really is not necessarily a disadvantage. I had not even considered doing heat transfers before but since I have the press I am experimenting with that to help pay for the system quicker.

Let me be 100% honest, I am still a newer printer but after finding this system once I had my emulsion coating and exposing down really has saved and increased my business. Having to work out of my home until I can get some good money going to move it to another area means my space is limited and having proper screen making space was tough! This system has really simplified the process, I can make 5 screens from start to finish (from printing the sheets on the Go Uno printer to heat pressing to the screen) in about an hour. You probably can't even dry your emulsion properly in an hour, I think many recommend it sitting for several hours if not 24 before you expose. Not to mention the mess and safe light you must use.

Now, will I eventually go back to emulsion based screen making? Probably if my business requires it but until then and for the forseeable future this is it for me and I could not be happier!

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. I am not a pro and cannot answer everything, but pertaining to printing or the process ask away...if I can't answer or don't feel qualified I am sure the awesome folks of RT will!

One more thing, I am small so 12-50 shirts are pretty much my norm, more like 12-24 mostly. Plus I have found a niche market but I am starting to find a few others to reach out to, which also lets me be able to customize their shirts with a name and number for not too bad of an extra fee, they love that and it is not all that bad. Not really worth it with emulsion screens, too much work for the time spent. I have not done a run over 50 shirts on any screen yet though I hope to at some point soon. But after that run the screen seemed to hold up pretty well. Also, pinholes in the black (toner) are pretty frequent but just have some screen filler handy to take care of those or good old magic tape works for me too if not too small of an area to put it on. Sometimes there are no pinhols so I guess it just depends on the printer output, might have been some dust that got into where the rollers are or something.
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

Leadfoot...WOW - amazing shirts and prints - great job with the RhinoScreen Dry Stencil Film! Thanks so much for posting all the images and your kind comments. We aim to please so that you are successful.

As an aside, I talked to a printer at SGIA/LV who has the dry stencil system, but said he "couldn't quite figure out its application" for his shop, so I told him how you use it and to check out the forum. I so hope he does, because it's pretty clear how successful you are using the system. Looking forward to seeing more of your completed projects!!
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

Thanks for the Q and A and Leadfoot's information. Who says it better than the screen printer? But...we are here to help and make sure that our customers are successful. Don't hesitate to contact Greg @ 651-686-5027 ext. for assistance or Chris in Customer Service at same numbe,r ext. 4. And the video is a great source of information, as well.
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Re: Leadfoot's RhinoTech-RhinoScreen Dry Stencil Print Jobs

Post by Leadfoot »

Anyone who has seen the videos on this system and has been waiting, don't wait any longer! Obviously this system is not for the more advanced and bigger screen printing shops. This system is a God send to those of us who started out as a hobbyist or a small at home or small "shed in the back yard" shop doing a few dozen to a couple hundred shirts per month. You can do more than that with this system but for those of us that have found a niche market who only orders by the dozen or two with an occasional hundred here and there this is the perfect system!

I cannot speak enough about it. It is an investment, and thankfully I had a friend willing to take a chance with me and help me get it quicker to maximize my business! It is probably not a savings on supplies vs. emulsion based but I really don't think it costs more in the long run. Just be sure to charge at least a minimum screen fee and you will be good to go on the supplies side! Plus the dry stencils themselves only use black ink so a $105 toner cartridge (after you blow through the minimally filled one that comes with it, you should not have to replace it again for several thousand print outs. Of course if you also use it for heat transfers you will have to also replace the C, M & Y carts not too far into getting the printer, but again, those should last several thousand prints too.
BoydRiver
Senior Screen Printer

Post by BoydRiver »

Great job Leadfoot.

I like that snake, are you doing wet on wet or print dry print please?
Regards
Boyd River
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

BoydRiver wrote:Great job Leadfoot.

I almost always print flash print. SInce my set up is a little odd I actually just use a heat gun to flash when printing. Maybe one day I will have an actual shop, even if it is just a garage or shed. ;)
BoydRiver
Senior Screen Printer

Post by BoydRiver »

Leadfoot wrote:
BoydRiver wrote:Great job Leadfoot.

I almost always print flash print. SInce my set up is a little odd I actually just use a heat gun to flash when printing. Maybe one day I will have an actual shop, even if it is just a garage or shed. ;)

Thanks for sharing, that snake looks great to me. I only have a one colour press at this time so registration will be harder for me, you're using a four colour i think?
How are you finding registration, fiddly ? :D
Regards
Boyd River
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

BoydRiver wrote: Thanks for sharing, that snake looks great to me. I only have a one colour press at this time so registration will be harder for me, you're using a four colour i think?
The biggest problem with registration is not being able to see through the stencil like you can with emulsion, so it can be a challenge setting it up to merge the paper with the screen and then registration for printing itself. I have not mastered using registration marks even with emulsion coated screens so I have been able to do it all by sight. I basically have to get the paper in about the same spot by measurement with a t-square.

There might be an easier method, maybe someone can shed some light on that.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Leadfoot wrote:
BoydRiver wrote: Thanks for sharing, that snake looks great to me. I only have a one colour press at this time so registration will be harder for me, you're using a four colour i think?
The biggest problem with registration is not being able to see through the stencil like you can with emulsion, so it can be a challenge setting it up to merge the paper with the screen and then registration for printing itself. I have not mastered using registration marks even with emulsion coated screens so I have been able to do it all by sight. I basically have to get the paper in about the same spot by measurement with a t-square.

There might be an easier method, maybe someone can shed some light on that.
Could you shine a bright light up from underneath it to see through it?
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC