Manual press parts

In the free classifieds forum you may post screen printing items you may wish to sell or give away. This section is intended for individuals and not companies selling new products or services. Commercial posts will be deleted and commercial users will be banned without notice.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Terry
Screen Trooper

Manual press parts

Post by Terry »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and not sure just where to put this request.

I would like to know where I can get a 6 or 6+ platen and base stand only assembly.

Reason I am looking for this is I dont need the screen head assembly, I have an on screen tuner system that I like but would like to upgrade my speed and copacity a little bit.

With little money for a full system upgrade I am thinking this might work tell I can raise the money to do so.
Dont need any thing new but usable, I dont even need the platens, a few platen brackets would be nice though.
Any help or leads would be very well recived.

Thank you,

Terry
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Manual press parts

Post by Catspit Productions »

I’m not sure; it sounds like you would be looking for a used base to another printing unit. Like an old floor press that you can cannibalize to make what you want. I would check Craig’s List for older used screen printing equipment you could use for whatever it is exactly you are trying to do.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Terry
Screen Trooper

Post by Terry »

Yes I think that is what I am looking for.

As to what I am thinking about, I am a YouTees press owner and I really like it. It has great registration and on multi-color jobs I love it, but it is very slow to work with, only one shirt at a time.

I have looked at a lot of presses and think I have settled on a line table or a rotary press reworked for line table style use.
It is about the flashing that keeps me coming back around (no pun intended) to the rotary style.

So any insight that might help will be well received.

Thank you.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

My advice is to ditch the home made jig press and buy a used rotary press. Contrary to what a certain individual has said about rotary presses they are the standard in the industry in America and Europe for a reason. It seems that regions with a lot of cheap labor use long table printing which is a pretty cool system in actuality. But the type of jig system you are using where the screen fits over the pallet with adjustable screws has been around for a long time. It’s a common home brew.

But a rotary press will be as accurate as or more so than what you have and it will be so much faster to work with. It will open up new worlds of multi color possibilities. Believe me, having the right tools to do the job will make or break you.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

Terry
Screen Trooper

Post by Terry »

Yes I agree with you 100%.

I do know what /who you mean and that kind of talk is of no use to me. All I need and want out of a press is that it can be easly registard and holds it registration during the print run, and is farly quick to use once learned.
I have tried to talk with some of the screen printers in our area about getting any used equipment they might be upgrading but there is no help here. I don't think they could throw me out fast enought. LOL

It is sad to say I do understand, they don't want any new printers around they have to compeat with on price for jobs, for times are slow and there are a bunch of printers in our area. And some of them are undercutters and do work on the cheap side of life.

when I started this screen printing adventure it was with the sole perpose to make custom shirts afordable to any one that might want one with out having to buy 50 or 100 at a time. I want to stay on the small side and I am willing to take the little jobs they seam to think are to small or are to small for there shop size, or just for that person that can't drop $100 bill for a one of shirt.

I do have dreams of a nice new 6c /6s press running all day, but today I will have to be content with my starting up rigs and home made get bys and watch the piggy bank fill up one shirt at a time. I still have a lot to learn.

As to cheap laber I have some of that, I have 2 sons 12 and 15 and a grandson thats 2, and they like to screen print as well. We are learning together and with my oldest boy in high school this year we get to make new shirts for him to ware all the time he loves it.

I am sure I will have some more questions soon and will try and get them in the right threads.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, hope I did not type your eyes outLOL

Thanks a bunch,
Terry
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Child labor :P Just kidding. I'm with you on making it affordable for people. I actually say that on my website. I know what it's like to struggle. To make it affordable to those who didn't think possible is what I strive for. I also have a few friends in the music industry. Bands don't have a lot of money and merch is how they make any money to do what they do. If just want to help others do what they didn't think they could afford as long as I don't cut myself short.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

If that kind of talk is of no use to you then I’m afraid I can’t help much. All I am trying to point out is that you can easily buy a used rotary press rather than trying to spend an indefinite amount of time building a homemade rotary press starting with a table top jig system. Used equipment can be found very cheap on Craig’s List and it would probably cost you less money than trying to buy parts and configure everything yourself not to mention the time involved.

It would save you a lot of headaches and a lot of time which will have you printing higher quality tee shirts in no time at all. But I completely understand your situation but screen printing is first a technical process, secondly a skill and lastly an art form. The problem is that if you don’t have the technical details down then the rest will be difficult.

It’s not that it’s very hard to screen print tee shirts; rather it is very, very easy to misprint them. My website and videos are full of information that can teach you the process and perhaps give you enough knowledge to be able to build your own press as you desire.

I’m a commercial screen printer and I teach how to screen print with professional tools, equipment and supplies. How and where you want to go with it is your prerogative. You will find that the prepress work involved in screen printing makes it more suitable for higher volume print runs as opposed to small jobs.

“All I need and want out of a press is that it can be easily registered and holds it registration during the print run, and is fairly quick to use once learned.” - Unfortunately that would be a standard rotary press.

But I’m here for you if you have any questions on the technical aspects of the process. I’ll be happy to help out anytime and I am not trying to sell you equipment. I don’t make much on equipment despite what people may think so equipment sales is more of a courtesy service rather than my main goal.

Thanks for the input ApeShirt, maybe you could be of assistance here. In the meantime Terry, good luck and feel free to ask any type of question anytime. :P
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Personally, I'd go for a multi-station rotary press. There are numerous sites that sell used equipment. Just be sure to physically check out any used press. You may want to try screen printers outside your immediate area. Be willing to travel 100 miles if you can get a deal from a reputable company. Heck, I just found a screen printing company (huge with automatics even) that is willing to have me come down and learn a few things from them. I have to drive about 70 miles one way but I'll do it to for my benefit. They realize I won't be a direct competitor being that far away. It took me several tries to find one but I did.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Terry
Screen Trooper

Post by Terry »

I am so sorry for that; it is I do not need the kind of talk of someone trying to talk me out of the right equipment. I need you and all of your knowledge and everyone that is here if I have any hope of making it in the real world of screen printing.

I have not lost any hope of getting a used or new standard rotary press, and I do watch our area and up to 200 miles out for equipment. That is where I found my almost like new 24" cutter for $100 and my almost new well used black only 24" printer for $150. Both are old and slow or in the case of my cutter very temperamental, but hey they work and were in my price range at the time.
As to screen printing equipment what is out there on my list is pretty ritzy in price or there is not much of it out there for sale. I even tried talking with some of the local screen printers, that was a bad move on my part. They don't take kindly to people that as they say cut in to their slice of the pie. And I really don't want their pie I want my own pie, just a little one will even settle for a bite or two from time to time.

Ok it’s late and I am rambling on offer nothing cutting the fat, I am looking daily on our local and surrounding area Craig’s lists. So far not much luck.
I love your videos and have subscribed to your channel and watch everyone that comes out even the one in Spanish, I don't speak Spanish but thought it was a nice thing to do.

For the time being tell I can get a standard rotary press, I have settled on a 6 platen line table this I think will help me go a bit faster with the little I know and still give me practice or screen making and registration if nothing else. I am (in my mind) a patient person and I have a drive to turn out nothing but the best, so far to date I have burnt, wasted, trashed, and downright blown lots of dollars over the last 2 years learning and trying and giving away shirts. The wife’s not so happy but I have learned a lot and looking to learn a bunch more you inspire me to try harder and work longer.

I am sure I am probably going about this the long and hardest way but at least I am going somewhere. I will not wash out, I will keep learning, I will learn all I can eventually. LOL

I thank you for all your help and support in my endeavors in screen printing. The guy I bought my first press from... well I am not going there.

Please keep making the videos and I will keep watching them and learning something good. (You know keeps me off the streets. LOL)
An old man once told me "Be happy, do what you love, and love what you do, take pride in all things you touch.". Words to live by I would say.

Thank you for taking the time to read the rantings of this old man,

Terry
Thank the maker for spell checker.
Terry
Screen Trooper

Post by Terry »

I do have another question, it is about pricing.

I know all my costs and how long it takes me to things done but my pricing I think is still to high. How dose one get that down with out going to the poor house?

Thanks