My design keeps washing out :/

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

UrbanGorillas

My design keeps washing out :/

Post by UrbanGorillas »

-I'm not sure if im not exposing the screen enough or not.
- Using a 4, 15 watt Blacklight bulb set up in a lightbox with a timer...
- I already tried 3.5- 5 min exposure time and both times i tried to wash it out the design started to show and after i let the water set and spray for the last time the edges washed out.
-ive just been using some excess foam, a black sheet and some books to provide pressure while the screen is being exposed

-please help! should i expose longer? is light escaping around the photo-positive? I have 2 new screens with emulsion drying at the moment and i need to get these shirts made!!
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: My design keeps washing out :/

Post by ApeShirt »

Sounds like a couple things to me. One is yes, increase your exposure time. Also, put plywood or something similar on top of the foam and then add the wight. That'll help distribute the weight evenly. Also, wet the screen and let it sit for a minute and then washout. Emulsion is mostly water so letting it soak in the end of the process may be too much exposure to water.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I agree ApeShirt; probably a longer exposure time is needed. And make sure to be quick in the washout booth. If you can’t wash out the stencil in 3 minutes or less then the emulsion is getting saturated with water.

Tips on washing out screens:

Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Free Man »

Which side of the screen should be sprayed? I usually flip it around several times and hit both sides, but is there a particular side that one should concentrate on?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Yes, I hope I mentioned that in the video but if you coat and dry your screens as I suggest then most of the emulsion should be on the substrate side. In order to avoid pushing any parts of the stencil out too easily you can wash it out from the substrate side.

That way the water pressure is pushing most of the emulsion toward the mesh instead of away from it.

Maybe I didn't mention it... LOL :o
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Free Man »

Uhh....substrate side being the side that touches the shirt?? thank you. Not sure what video it was but since most I know comes from your videos Im guessing it was one that said coat the outside (side which touches the shirt) first then the inside once (squegee side) and dry with the shirt side down., as this is how I have always done it, LOL.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Yes, that is correct. You got it!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

Thanks for the great posts and the forum and the videos Jonathan. This is a new side to an old trade for me, A buddy brought a 2 station 4 color rotary press over to my garage and since there are no trade schools to enroll in...here I am...I am trained in process camera darkroom procedures and have over 35yrs in offset presswork and some of it carries over. My first 2 screen exposures may have had poor results due to several factors. The more I read the posts on the forum, the more variables I find that I need to control for optimum results...3 minutes you said should be sufficient, no heavy spraying during washout, spray from the substrate side during washout, if the non-image area washes out then the emulsion hasnt cured properly either by being old, not activated properly, or contaminated in some way....Are these the major points for a good screen image? I almost have my wastewater filtration and darkroom completed. I built a nice light tight drying box for the screens and I am planning an exhaust hood to mount above the press flash curing unit. Thanks again.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

OffsetnScreen wrote:Thanks for the great posts and the forum and the videos Jonathan. This is a new side to an old trade for me, A buddy brought a 2 station 4 color rotary press over to my garage and since there are no trade schools to enroll in...here I am...I am trained in process camera darkroom procedures and have over 35yrs in offset presswork and some of it carries over. My first 2 screen exposures may have had poor results due to several factors. The more I read the posts on the forum, the more variables I find that I need to control for optimum results...3 minutes you said should be sufficient, no heavy spraying during washout, spray from the substrate side during washout, if the non-image area washes out then the emulsion hasnt cured properly either by being old, not activated properly, or contaminated in some way....Are these the major points for a good screen image? I almost have my wastewater filtration and darkroom completed. I built a nice light tight drying box for the screens and I am planning an exhaust hood to mount above the press flash curing unit. Thanks again.
First, welcome to the forum! There are things to consider when exposing. Not everyone uses the same emulsion and exposure units. Exposure times vary depending mainly on type of emulsion, exposure unit, age of bulbs (how much they've been used, as they dim over time), etc.. Some can expose in under a minute and some as long as 15 minutes (maybe longer).
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

OffsetnScreen wrote:I find that I need to control for optimum results...3 minutes you said should be sufficient, no heavy spraying during washout, spray from the substrate side during washout, if the non-image area washes out then the emulsion hasnt cured properly either by being old, not activated properly, or contaminated in some way....Are these the major points for a good screen image?
Yes, most certainly. I see you have been watching some of my videos. Thank you. And you’re very welcome for everything.

You are on the right track and what Greg says is true. Let us know if you have any more specific questions we can help with.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC