My design keeps washing out :/

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Re: My design keeps washing out :/

Post by OffsetnScreen »

I made a stencil on vellum of bold type matter and a line drawing sketch, no halftone ...I made 2 of the stencils, registered them together to add density to my blacks on a light table and prepared a burn under glass and a fan..this was using diazo dual cure pink stuff...The burn was a 4 minute burn an I went to the washup booth....light protected in black bag between rooms.
I took the fram out of the bag and noticed the latent image ...I wet both sides lightly...the image began to appear...I could notice an outline as the image came up of the edge of my vellum sheet making me think that I shoulld be using clear laser safe acetate for the stencil...I noticed some light foaming as the emulsion was being rinsed...I rinsed the screen for a good 3 minutes. I think I should have stopped there....but, I kept going and lightly rubbed both sides of the screen with my fingers and washed some more...and then...the image began to deteriorate....I knew I had either washed it too long, or not burned it in long enough, so I removed the emulsion and cleaned the screen.
I have another coated screen ready to make my next test exposure. I will review the washout video again to find out where I missed out on procedure. I am working with an emulsion whos batch code I checked and is 5 yrs old....maybe this is part of my problem...the latent image showed up nicely however, curing and hardening is where my issues lie I think. Thanks in advance for the help....peace
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yes, I think the issue here is the doubled up vellum. I would switch to an inkjet film honestly instead of a laser film. It will be much denser and the ink use can have UV blocking properties by formula or by running 100% CMYK color rich blacks.

I sell an inexpensive semi water proof inkjet film here:

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/in ... tives.html

It’s available in small quantities as well. But if you want the best quality you’ll have to spend the money for a water proof inkjet film which should give you the best film positive you can get for the money. Most often you have to buy a box of 100 sheets.

That should solve the problem. As long as the rest of the emulsion around the vellum cured you should be able to solve this simply by using a clear inkjet film.

If all the emulsion began to dissolve then you’ll need to increase your exposure time as well.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
tee stooge
Screen Trooper

Post by tee stooge »

I was having the same issues. I changed the timing, let it soak, used pressure washer. nothing seemed to work. finally i notice that using warm water makes a big difference the emulsion seems to come out quicker with less pressure just using a garden sprayer.