Quick Question about exposure

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Quick Question about exposure

Post by Ochtees »

So I did a single coat front/back at Lunch time. Let it dry. The next day at lunch i put a single coat on the back side, so making it a 2/1. I then let it dry over night. The next day in the afternoon I exposed it for 7.5 minutes. When i washed it out the front started to turn really light pink and milky, then my image blew out...

Also when I took my screen out of the exposure unit it REALLY stuck to the glass and I had a hard time getting my stencil off the screen...

Thoughts?

Cody
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Quick Question about exposure

Post by Catspit Productions »

It sounds like there may have still been a decent amount of humidity in the emulsion even though it may have been dry to the touch. Although with a thicker stencil it will also be harder to fully cure the entire emulsion layer.

You may need a very opaque film positive and a longer exposure time. If the area you live in has high humidity in the air on a normal basis try to dry and expose the double coted screen in air conditioned conditions.

The “front” getting light pink and milky is a sign of under exposure sop there could be a combination of factors here.

I think it just had too much humidity left in the emulsion and perhaps it needs a longer exposure time.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions