Metallic Ink

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

johnk6749

Metallic Ink

Post by johnk6749 »

I am trying to print on dark t-shirts using silver metallic ink. I am using a 110 mesh and a soft durometer squeegee. The print isn't coming out as sharp as I would like it.

Should I switch to a different mesh count? Should I use a hard squeegee? What are your recommendations?
BoydRiver
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Metallic Ink

Post by BoydRiver »

Have you asked your ink supplier if you need to under base this ink please?
Regards
Boyd River
johnk6749

Post by johnk6749 »

No, it doesn't need an underbase. The coverage is opaque, it just isn't as sharp as I'd like. I am going to try a harder squeegee and see if that sharpens it up.
she
Screen Trooper

Post by she »

Based from my experiences with metallic ink,softer squeegee blades deposit more ink and harder squeegee does not sharpen it at all.. Metallic inks are harder to print,all i do is to press the squeegee down until it gets all the ink through the screen..
you don't know what you got, until it is gone...
inkjet sales
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Actually sometimes a harder squeegee will sharpen things up but it will print less ink. If it’s a glitter type ink then I would ask the manufacturer for specific mesh counts and squeegee durometers to use.

If it’s metallic silver that just looks like shiny silver metal then if it covers well you could move up one step in mesh count. But a higher mesh count and a little harder squeegee should do the trick in the end. Also make sure the squeegee blade edge is sharp and square.

If the ink is on the thinner side and runs when you have the screen lifted up then a higher mesh count may be exactly what you need. :D
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

johnk6749 wrote:I am trying to print on dark t-shirts using silver metallic ink. I am using a 110 mesh and a soft durometer squeegee. The print isn't coming out as sharp as I would like it.

Should I switch to a different mesh count? Should I use a hard squeegee? What are your recommendations?

John did you ever get the answers you were looking for? What ink were you using? I would love to see a photo or two of the finished product as others here probably would as well. ;)
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

johnk6749 wrote:I am trying to print on dark t-shirts using silver metallic ink. I am using a 110 mesh and a soft durometer squeegee. The print isn't coming out as sharp as I would like it.

Hi John, did you manage to sharpen things up with the silver ink printing??