Strange Emulsion issue

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Strange Emulsion issue

Post by ApeShirt »

What causes emulsion "tits"? When the emulsion was wet on the screen it looked good. When it dried it developed these tits.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Saati
Instructor

Re: Strange Emulsion issue

Post by Saati »

looks like you were trying to coat too thick for the mesh count with that particualr emulsion.

On coarse mesh count you want a very thick emulsion like the textile PHW. You will still have to watch your coating thickness but it is more forgiving. Aalso try drying it in a cooler envirnment. The elevated heat can change the viscosity making it run a little thinner than normal.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yes, and make sure your drying rack or whatever you use is level and has adequate air circulation; if there is nowhere for the humidity to go then you can see heavy spotting like this as well.

But I agree it looks like a more open mesh count which will require some thick emulsion to coat with ease. It will take a lot of emulsion too. Lower mesh counts tend to hold more emulsion and create thicker stencils.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Thank you! It happens from time to time. I can coat several screens at once and I might get one that does this. Always near the edge of the coating but not about an inch or 2 in.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC