Capillary film

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Modra

Capillary film

Post by Modra »

Hello all, this looks like the place to be if one has screen printing questions. Mine is how long is the dry time with 50m capillary film on 16o mesh in a dry box with 40% humidity and box fan to dry?
Saati
Instructor

Re: Capillary film

Post by Saati »

Modra,
How long should it take you ask.....That is a loaded question. If I had to take a educated guess on your situation I would say 2-3 hours (but that is a guess so please dont hold me to that).

Capillary film has the luxury of having its dryness indicator built in (so to speak). If the backing sheet releases easily then it is dry, if it gives you any resistance then it is still wet and should be left alone for another 20-30 min and retest.

The only real concrete test to see if an emulsion or film is dry enough to expose is with the use of a moisture meter which will indicate if there is any moisture left within the stencil. If the screen is not dry it will cause exposure issues: pinholes, loss of detail durring exposure, and making it difficult or even impossible to reclaim. With that said the majority of the phone calls and emails I get with regards to pinholes and reclaim issues are a direct result of high humidity and screens not dry enough to get proper exposure. When in doubt let it dry longer but keep in mind if the humidity in the drying area is over 70% you will never be dry enough to get a properly exposed screen, but instead you will have a compromised stencil that may work but will exibit some problems. Some of the problems may not be obviouse for short runs but in the 5-10k peice runs they will become more apparant.
Modra

Post by Modra »

Thank you..
alysa

Post by alysa »

i realy like this forum. its so nice and informative.
alysa
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thanks! Make sure to post your questions here for the fastest response time possible.

Welcome and good luck!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions