Special Effects Inks "Glowing inks"

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Special Effects Inks "Glowing inks"

Post by ppdlao »

Hi everyone, hi Jon, as you know I´m just new to screen printing, and I want to print some souvenir tees, and I´m thinking how to make them "special" or different, the work are about just local phrases, so it´s all about letters, and I want make them glow in the dark! what can you Jon, or you guys tell me about glowing inks?
I´ve not seem this ink in person, I think from what I´ve heard it is kinda light gray or light green look?, a buddy told me to mix it with white ink: 2/3 (of white) I couldn´t ask him if he told me about normal white, or high opacity white?, and if I can make a white print to glow on a dark tee with this mixing formula?, any advice about the mesh? about any especial treatment with this glow ink? about the curing process with this ink? what about detailed positives? halftones? does it work fine in detailed works? or just used for spot colors? does it exist in water base ink or just plastisol?

Well guys, thnks for answering, thnks Jon for everything
PERA designs
from Villahermosa, Tabasco, México
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Special Effects Inks "Glowing inks"

Post by Catspit Productions »

Glow in the dark inks will be best as a plastisol ink formulation. They tend to be green or on the clear/gray-ish side when printed. The best way to print a glow in the dark plastisol ink is to put a white under base down first.

I would not recommend mixing the white ink directly into the glow in the dark ink. And I believe glow in the dark inks will work best with spot color designs.

Curing a plastisol glow in the dark ink will be the same for a standard plastisol ink. And a higher volume of ink deposit will make it glow best.

You are welcome for everything. Thanks for your continued support! :D
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Catspit Productions wrote:Glow in the dark inks will be best as a plastisol ink formulation. They tend to be green or on the clear/gray-ish side when printed. The best way to print a glow in the dark plastisol ink is to put a white under base down first.

I would not recommend mixing the white ink directly into the glow in the dark ink. And I believe glow in the dark inks will work best with spot color designs.

Curing a plastisol glow in the dark ink will be the same for a standard plastisol ink. And a higher volume of ink deposit will make it glow best.

You are welcome for everything. Thanks for your continued support! :D

Thnks for the advices Jon, as always :) one thing, I know that when you say : "a higher volume of ink deposit make it glow best" it would depend on the mesh count we use, could you suggest me one? Right now I have only two mesh count measures, 158 and 230, is there like some mesh count that will work best with glow in the dark inks? will this glow in the dark ink need "hit, flash, hit" tehnique when printed over a white under base in order to glow best? what about this glow in the dark ink over light colored garments? I asume for ex that this ink on a white t shirt wouldn´t need hit, flash, hit, what can you tell me about it?

Thnks for answering Jon
see you buddy
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

I am actually going to be trying out glow in the dark ink for the first time next week. I have not paid much attention to them because they are typically VERY expensive. But I recently got a great deal so I have decided to give them a try! I will post my results soon.
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Leadfoot wrote:I am actually going to be trying out glow in the dark ink for the first time next week. I have not paid much attention to them because they are typically VERY expensive. But I recently got a great deal so I have decided to give them a try! I will post my results soon.

cool! yeah this week is going to be my first time too with glow in the dark ink! and yeah they are expensive, what kind of work are you going to print? I will post my results too! good luck pal! :)
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

ppdlao wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:I am actually going to be trying out glow in the dark ink for the first time next week. I have not paid much attention to them because they are typically VERY expensive. But I recently got a great deal so I have decided to give them a try! I will post my results soon.

cool! yeah this week is going to be my first time too with glow in the dark ink! and yeah they are expensive, what kind of work are you going to print? I will post my results too! good luck pal! :)

I have been behind so have not done it yet but just doing some simple spot color prints, I will post pics of the work later this week or the weekend.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Hey Guys,
How'd your glow prints go?
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

ApeShirt wrote:Hey Guys,
How'd your glow prints go?
hi ApeShirt, well, the inks is too expensive!! they don´t sell it here i town, I have to buy 1Kg at least and pay shipping and handle, it will cost like $75 Dlls for just 1kg, I was asking about this ink because I was about to print some souvenirs t shirts to sell, but that has not been possible so far, do you have any pics about a print job with this ink, you can show?
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

It is really hard to get pictures of the shirts glowing...maybe with the right equipment I could. I got the glow ink made by International Coatings and used Ryonet white for the underbase. I got a lot of awesome compliments from people when they saw the ones I had done. There was a great special on the ink so I bought two quarts...that stuff is so thin I am going to have it longer than it will be good for probably. lol

Definitely make sure to use at least a 155 mesh count for the glow layer, I think I used 230 for one and 155 for another and they both worked. Probably more of a personal preference. I really like the uniqueness the glow ink gives to my customers. I hope it will be more popular next year!
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Leadfoot wrote:It is really hard to get pictures of the shirts glowing...maybe with the right equipment I could. I got the glow ink made by International Coatings and used Ryonet white for the underbase. I got a lot of awesome compliments from people when they saw the ones I had done. There was a great special on the ink so I bought two quarts...that stuff is so thin I am going to have it longer than it will be good for probably. lol

Definitely make sure to use at least a 155 mesh count for the glow layer, I think I used 230 for one and 155 for another and they both worked. Probably more of a personal preference. I really like the uniqueness the glow ink gives to my customers. I hope it will be more popular next year!

thnks for the advices LF! 155 mesh sounds like the best for this kind of work, jejeje excellent purchase discount that you did, I think I should ask to my vendor to let me know when there is a special on this inks! :mrgreen: