How To Screen Print White Plastisol Ink On Black Tee Shirts

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Re: How To Screen Print White Plastisol Ink On Black Tee Shi

Post by OffsetnScreen »

I've just made my first run of t's with white plastisol on black and other assorted colors too. I learned a lot from the videos that Catspitproductions has furnished for our education and from networking with old schoolers. Hands-on definitely is where the rubber meets the road. So, I realized the importance and techniques of reducing the ink for the 9in x 9in halftone with solid type. I experienced some good registration on the second strokes. I decided to use the same pallet without removing the shirt, to flash it for before the second stroke after messing up a couple when I removed them wet and the fabric folded and got ink where it wasnt supposed to be....oops!!. This helped registration issues immediatly, however i began to lose registration when the pallet temperature increased to the point that my adhesive lost its tack resulting in the shirt moving on second stroke. I also learned that Lime flourescent shirts don't show white very well at all...lol. Now he has brought me womens' camisoles 1over 1, and panties to print a pocket size print on butt. I suspect I will have to build a different pallet to accomodate the panties so as not to stretch them out loading them into position. Any help here will be appreciated, Jonathan and Leadfoot and everyone else who has contributed to this ultra-informative forum....peace
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

This really depends on the garments. I couldn’t advise much without seeing them as to whether or not you need to make a custom pallet. If they lie flat then you can use any pallet and just mark off where they are to be placed.

Sounds like you’re learning a lot. There is definitely no substitute for hands on experience.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

A couple things I'll weigh in on. NEVER remove the substrate from the platen until that print is complete. Trying to line it back up is nearly impossible, let alone time consuming. Also, pre-heating your platen can also help. Not scorching hot but just for a few seconds to get it warm. Depending on the substrate you could also pre-heat those. I pre-heat sweatshirts, if doing a muti-color print, as these tend to hold moisture and can shrink a little between flashes if you don't. Also, make sure you have adequate adhesive down to ensure your shirt doesn't roll as you stroke. I made a platen just for doing panties and toddler/infant garments. Hope this helps, although I'm not Leadfoot or Jonathon ;)
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

Thanks Ape shirt, I had a feelling I was going to need a custom pallet. Thanks for the pre-heating tips. Hey, I noticed after printing 3 or 4 shirts, with thin material, stretched across the pallet where , its probably too tight and stretching the fabric seams that ink gets on the pallet and I have to wipe it and reapply the adhesive way too often....I need a smaller pallet donnt I so as not to stretch the fabric letting the inkgo between the threads ??? or, just deal with the cards I am dealt?...thanks...peace
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

I don't know of any instance where stretching the material is a good idea. As far as getting ink on the platen, that may be caused by a few things. You could be using too much down force on your stroke. It could also be that the knit of the material is not very tight. Such as cheaply made shirts. Or it could be that you are stretching it too much. All of these could cause the ink to go right through the shirt.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC