yet another emulsion question (ex1 vs. Textil PV)

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

funklebob

yet another emulsion question (ex1 vs. Textil PV)

Post by funklebob »

Hello all:

This is my first post. First of all, thanks to Jonathon and the other moderators for providing a place where newbies can post questions such as the following: I screen print in my home and am relatively new to the process. Some of my results so far I consider pretty spectacular, and some not so much. I have been using ex1 dual cure emulsion and the quality of my last few screens have led me to suspect my emulsion might be getting a little long in the tooth (probably expired). The washouts have been pretty difficult of late. I purchased a quart of Textil PV from the Catspit webstore today and am looking forward to trying it. Is there anyone with experience with both emulsions who can tell me, aside from not having to mix diazo into the can, what to expect as regards other differences between the two? I expose my screens using a 500 watt halogen work lamp roughly 15-16 inches above the screen.

Many thanks,

Bob
Saati
Instructor

Re: yet another emulsion question (ex1 vs. Textil PV)

Post by Saati »

funklebob wrote:Hello all:

This is my first post. First of all, thanks to Jonathon and the other moderators for providing a place where newbies can post questions such as the following: I screen print in my home and am relatively new to the process. Some of my results so far I consider pretty spectacular, and some not so much. I have been using ex1 dual cure emulsion and the quality of my last few screens have led me to suspect my emulsion might be getting a little long in the tooth (probably expired). The washouts have been pretty difficult of late. I purchased a quart of Textil PV from the Catspit webstore today and am looking forward to trying it. Is there anyone with experience with both emulsions who can tell me, aside from not having to mix diazo into the can, what to expect as regards other differences between the two? I expose my screens using a 500 watt halogen work lamp roughly 15-16 inches above the screen.

Many thanks,

Bob
Bob,
typically if all things are created equal the textile PV emulsion will expose 40-50% faster than most dual cures. I would use this as your starting point for exposure and adjust from there. Another thing with pure photopylmer emuslion is they react quite well to post exposure. Post exposure is where you expose the screen and wash it out. after it is dry you reexpose for 2x the original time. this will help increase the water resistancy as well as help with some solvent resistance. One of the biggest benifits however is the long working shelf life. We boast 2-3 years depending on storage conditions.

if you have ay questions or problems please post up and we can help.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thank you Saati! I love Textile PC blue and I use it in house. I think it will blow away the EX1 by 100 fold or more.

Just remember that a dual cure has a wider exposure latitude and will give decent results with a wider range of exposures. But the photopolymer will need a more specific exposure time to work best.

For instance I expose a 110 screen coated 1/1 on an industrial black lamp exposure unit with 5 year old bulbs at about 35 to 45 seconds. My film positives are very good using the water proof inkjet film positives from my ecommerce store.

So you may have to dial in the exposure a bit more than the EX1 and make sure to use a good film positive that is a dense as you can get it.

Saati emulsions are excellent and most people I convert are very pleased with the reults.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
funklebob

Post by funklebob »

Jonathon and Saati:

Thanks for the prompt replies to my inquiry. You folks are top notch.

A working shelf life measured in years as opposed to months?! I am sold before the product even arrives on my doorstep. And Jonathon, I hope you you are as correct about the Saati Textil emulsion as you were about the inkjet films from your webstore. I have been using them with just a run of the mill Brother printer and no rip software and the results are far superior to anything I had tried previously. The films are truly an awesome product.

Thanks again guys.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

You’re very welcome! I think you will be very pleased with the Saati emulsion once you get used to it. But let us know what you think as I am always open to praise or criticism... LOL Hopefully praise ;)

I am very pleased to hear you like my film positives. The water proof inkjet film at http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/inkjet-film/ is very competitively priced and kicks some inkjet printer butt! ;)

Thanks for the unofficial endorsement!

Good luck and let us know when you need assistance.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

funklebob

Post by funklebob »

Jonathan and Saati:

I have now had the opportunity to make a few screens using the Textil PV and have discovered that it is an absolute DREAM to work with. Much faster exposure times and much easier washouts. Jonathan, you're recommendations, for both the inkjet films and the emulsion, were spot on. As soon as I get a little more experience using the product under my belt, I will post a glowing review on your webstore site. Also, as many new screen printers will discover, there is a ton of information and advice available on the interwebs regarding screen printing. But I have learned that there is one BEST place for information, advice and supplies. That is here on the Catspit forum and affiliated sites and sources.

Funklebob
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Awesome! Textil PV and PC Blue along with the other Saati emulsions are great. This is so cool to hear, thank you so much for taking the time to post that. I’m so happy to be able to help in such a way through my videos and website. I love to teach and it is very rewarding in many ways. It has brought me opportunities to help people get the good stuff for making things a little easier. Some people don’t like that I have begun selling supplies direct and see it as “selling out.” But I love helping people and I never recommend things I wouldn’t actually use myself. That’s what makes me different as a supplier I think.

So this comment here on the thread you began is inspiring and makes it all that much more worth it ;) I always have to thank everyone for helping me to help them by making purchases with me. I’m enjoying doing it and I hope to continue for a long time.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC