Home made screen coating stand?

This section is all about screen making. This would include stretching, mesh prep, and coating the screens with emulsion. All related topics such as screen storage and trouble shooting for getting screens ready to expose.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Home made screen coating stand?

Post by Ochtees »

Man I tell ya what. I've been coating and coating and coating and I just cannot get a SMOOOOOOTH coat. I think its b/c I hold the screen w/one hand, have the screen edge on the floor, then coat up. Then my hands start to sway and I get un even coverage.

So to the topic question, does anyone have a home made contraption to hold the screen in place on an angle to coat it!?
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Home made screen coating stand?

Post by ApeShirt »

I have coated with one hand before with no problem. But, I prefer to use both hands. I set the screen on my workbench and rest the top edge against the shelf behind it. You could just prop it up against a wall and place a piece of wood at the base, between screen and wall, to prevent it from slipping back against the wall as you coat. Having the wood in place is important.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Ochtees »

Ill give it a shot.
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Keep us informed please. The thing is that it's often not necessary to buy overpriced products. Coming up with your own way is, many times, much cheaper and just effective.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC