Ink looks like frog skin when it comes out of the dryer

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Ink looks like frog skin when it comes out of the dryer

Post by Ochtees »

Hi, this is a really really new issue for me. I have a shirt with 5 colors on it. This is what I do:

White 2 hit - 230 mesh
flash
white 1 hit - 230 mesh
flash
black - 3 hit (this is NOT on the white underbase) - 230 mesh
purple - 3 hit (this is NOT on the white underbase) - 230 mesh
flash
yellow - 2 hit (this is on the white underbase) - 230 mesh
flash
orange - 2 hit (this is on the white underbase) - 230 mesh

When i take it off my machine it looks beautiful, its flat, and really nice, but once it comes out of my dryer it looks like the ink bubbled and looks like frog skin. Some spots I can actually grab a bubble and peal it off....

I'm using Wilflex Epic inks and an Econo Red II Dryer. I'm printing on Gildan G2000

Any help would be appreciated.
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
Dip.Schlitz
Squeegee Master

Re: Ink looks like frog skin when it comes out of the dryer

Post by Dip.Schlitz »

Sounds like your underbase is carrying too much heat into the dryer. All that heat has to go somewhere, bubbling the top layer of ink. Maybe raise your flash. Put a fan on the shirts before sending them through, or between flashes, or speed up your dryer a bit.
Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Ink looks like frog skin when it comes out of the dryer

Post by Ochtees »

I think you are 100% correct, I was down there testing and I raised up the heater panels to 3" instead of 2.5". I also timed the belt and it was 35 seconds IN the dryer. So I sped it up to 25 seconds. So far it is coming out smooth!!! I even washed them and they were fine. Thanks!
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts