Curing plastisol ink

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Jimdi77
Squeegee Master

Curing plastisol ink

Post by Jimdi77 »

I know there is no set answer but I would love to test for or determine a good speed or temp to cure plastisol. When we first started we were running the conveyor too fast. The heat gun was showing about 400 but they were washing out on the first wash test. I talked to another print shop and they said to slow it way down . I am getting readings of about 500-600 degrees. The t- shirts aren't washing out now but I completely fried a Dickeys shirt. It seems excessive heat and overkill. Sooooo how can I test this and know it's enough heat but not too much.

On another note would it be a good idea to get Bill Hoods book on Curing Plastisol Ink or would it just be info overload?

Thanks for the help.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Curing plastisol ink

Post by ApeShirt »

Some like to say you must reach 320 for one minute. I believe that is overkill. My dwell time at 325-360 is about 15-20 seconds and have never had a print washout. Keep in mind that the more ink you have layered, the longer dwell time in order to ensure the bottom coat is cured. Just because the temp gun says the top reached 320 doesn't necessarily mean the bottom has as.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Apeshirt is right on with the temp guns and sometimes it does not take long at all to cure plastisol inks. In fact I have found that some inks will cure much faster than others. Even different colors of the same brand! Very thin layers of printed ink cure fast. Thicker layers take much longer. But with plastisol inks I always say be on the safe side.

But not the burnt side ;) This video should help out some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJUi2skGz8

You certainly shouldn’t need to run that hot I think. With white on black or heavily inked prints I may run the oven hot and let the surface of the shirt reach almost 400 degrees F but that is on 100% cotton. A white tee may scorch when that hot but when printing a darker ink on white we normally use a much less volume of ink. Therefore it can cure at a lower temp.

The stretch test is a great one and with that you should be able to dial in the heat just right.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Jimdi77
Squeegee Master

Post by Jimdi77 »

Watched the video and very helpful, thanks. I am going to back the heat off and try some stretch test and some wash tests. Thanks guys!