metallic gold plastisol

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with plastisol screen printing inks. This would include curing, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

drew
Senior Screen Printer

metallic gold plastisol

Post by drew »

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good gold ink that has high opacity. The customer does not want gold flakes(shimmer), just a bright gold. I will be printing on black shirts and was hoping to not need a under base, if possible. I'm not sure yet of the material being printed on but it will be either 100% cotton or 50/50 cotton poly. I can under base if needed but was wanting to avoid that because of the detail of the design. Thanks guys :)
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: metallic gold plastisol

Post by ApeShirt »

I've used QCM Light Gold and added a little orange and yellow to it to make it brighter.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

Thank you Greg. I will give that a try when the time comes. Seems the customer can't settle on a design he likes, which has been my biggest problem. Lol.
JIWA228

Post by JIWA228 »

Hey guys,
I want to use metallic gold ink, what would be the best way to cure it not counting the rotary dryer, maybe hairdryer or iron ..any tips?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Hey drew,

I liked the “athletic gold” inks from Excalibur and Wilflex. They were like a deep yellow gold. Almost like a school bus but maybe lighter. I think I have some Excalibur in shop right now actually. They are both high opacity I believe and should handle black and 50/50 easily.

JIWA228,

I would use at least a flash cure for metallic inks. I’m not sure a heat gun will work for that. But someone has probably done it... LOL. You could always try it and wash test one.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions