Need help with registering off contact screens

This section is for issues relating to setting up print jobs on automatic, manual rotary or fixed station printing presses. Topics like registration, off contact, micro registration and how to use a manual textile press with the flash cure on multiple color print jobs. Automatic press set up, usage and auto features may also be discussed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

jcprinting
Screen Trooper

Need help with registering off contact screens

Post by jcprinting »

I have looked through this forum and haven't found any information to my exact problem yet. I have looked through the videos on YouTube and can't find any videos either. Here is my problem:

I have learned that an image prints better detail with off contact instead of the screen sitting on the garment. My problem is when I make a garment that is two of more colors. I tape the film positives to the platen. I then line up the screens to that film positive. This has always worked pretty good for me and the only way that I know how to register multi-color jobs. So how do you register a multi-color job with off contact? I am using a Vastex V-1000 press.

So if I try to register all of the screens with the off contact already set then I cannot see through the screen properly to line up the screens to properly. If I line up all of the screens and then adjust and set the off contact then that throws off the alignment. I do not have the Vastex pin alignment system.

Is there a video or can someone please explain to me how to setup a multi-color job manually with off contact and have perfect registration?

Thanks!
-Jim
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Need help with registering off contact screens

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay this is probably an issue of the off contact being too high. Your off contact should be about 1/16th of an inch if possible.

So when you set up the screen is slightly off the pallet but with your hands you should be able to push the mesh down to the pallet to see where it is landing. So the key here is if the off contact is too high you won’t be able to do this easily.

With off contact lower is always better and too high will cause many problems including loss of print resolution.

When you watch the videos where i register more than one color you will notice how I run my hands over the screen stopping and looking at certain areas. That is what I am doing. I am pushing the very low off contact down to the test print so I can see where it is landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M02s9dOgL24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpG7dzpuO80
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
jcprinting
Screen Trooper

Post by jcprinting »

Ahh I see what you mean. I think my off contact is a little on the high side. Setting off contact for me is so hard. I have the Vastex V-1000. I have to use a wrench to loosen a couple of bolts on the head and then I adjust some thumb screws. I then have to hold the head firmly down while I tighten the bolts. Only when the bolts are tight and only then can I see where the off contact is. The next problem is I usually end up with the off contact being higher in the air on the front of the screen and closer to the platen the further back that you do. There are 2 bolts on the Vastex V-1000 that you can loosen and then turn a knob to raise and lower the back of the head a bit.

I don't regret buy Vastex equipment. I think it is one of the best choices that I have ever made. But I think that I am going to have to update the heads to their HD heads in the future.

Thanks so much!
-Jim
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

If the screen is higher in the front than in the back, that is your tilt. I'm not familiar with the press you have but it should have 1 bolt behind the print head that will allow you to adjust tilt easily. I use a thin peace of cardboard to help set my off contact. If you lay the cardboard on the pallet before loosening all the bolts, then it should rest evenly when you loosen them. Just tighten them back up carefully and double check them. I also use a washer taped to the very end(closest to you) taped to the bottom to help hold off contact while printing.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Hey Jim,
I have the V1000 as well. I push down a little on the head and alternate bolts as I tighten them. Just a little at a time. Works good for me. Another thing is to maybe completely remove the arm and reposition the tilt adjustment a bit. Once everything is back in place just slightly loosen the bolts and then adjust. Always alternate between the bolts as you tighten them. That seems to help me.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC