Printing bulky items

This section is for issues relating to setting up print jobs on automatic, manual rotary or fixed station printing presses. Topics like registration, off contact, micro registration and how to use a manual textile press with the flash cure on multiple color print jobs. Automatic press set up, usage and auto features may also be discussed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

koolkabinets

Printing bulky items

Post by koolkabinets »

We are going to be screen printing some large bulky items; metal cabinets. The cabinet is 12" deep. 2 colors. Any suggestions?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Printing bulky items

Post by Catspit Productions »

Those really should be printed pre assembly so you can have a somewhat flat item to print. Otherwise you are going to have to set up a jig system.

It might be possible to use screens large enough to have jigs attached to the bottom of the frame edges, substrate side that will fit snugly around the top of the side you need to print. This means of course that the 2 screens will need to have the stencils burned in accurate positions so you may rig the screens with jigs that place the stencils in the correct position for printing when placed over the cabinet face.

I am not sure how you could use an existing press of any kind to do this because the item is so large and unusual. I mean if you have a manual rotary press could you take off all the pallets and set the cabinet on a platform between the print arms for printing? I don’t know, maybe if you could stabilize the situation enough to work with. If so you could then use the print heads to do this multi-color print in between the pallet arms so the screens come down on the side of the cabinet to be printed.

I think that’s the only 2 suggestions I have at this time.... LOL. I am a textile printer so I don’t often print other items. And speaking of which an important thing to consider will be the ink. You’re going to have to know exactly what it is that you are printing on so you can buy the proper ink that will bond to the surface of the metal. So if it has coatings or any other finish you will need to know about that as well. There may be inks that will air dry, UV curing inks and enamel inks that need to be baked. It will depend on the surface and what you want the ink to do.

I know it's not much but I hope that helps some.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Printing bulky items

Post by ApeShirt »

I have zero experience in this but I do have a couple thoughts. How about creating stencils and spray painting the image? Or, use a plotter and do vinyl?
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC