Ive tried ten times over the weekend, and it still washes

Here you can discuss issues related to exposing screens for screen printing. This includes determining the exposure, light sources and washing out the stencil in the washout booth. Emulsion issues may also be addressed here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Tylerterror123

Ive tried ten times over the weekend, and it still washes

Post by Tylerterror123 »

I have literally tried ten different to set up a screen wash out a screen, and it just keeps coming out on one side, I really don't understand I'm about to tear my hair out, it has a bunch of very thin lines, and the image peals one towards one side. Evertime I think I have it, it blows up in my face and I have to start over, this just recently started happening. I am using duel cure, and Im exposing it on 86 mesh for about 14 minutes, and on 156 mesh and exposing it for 12 minutes. I tried the same thing with Saati textile PV and exposed it for 2 minutes, same thing happened. And yes the film possitive is dark enough. Am I waiting long enough for it to dry? I have no idea.

I would appreciate feedback,

Thanks,
Tyler
Saati
Instructor

Re: Ive tried ten times over the weekend, and it still washe

Post by Saati »

Can you post a pic of the results? I am not 100% clear on what you mean by peeling one side.

Sounds like you are saying it is partially exposing (you can see the image start to develop, but then falls appart.) is that the case?
Tylerterror123

Post by Tylerterror123 »

Yes, exactly, before all the image finishes washing out completely is starts to peel.
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

If thats the case you have a partial exposure issue or a screen prep issue. If I had to make an educated guess I would say exposure. Try increasing exposure 2x the original time and see if you still get the peeling. I think either your light is not putiing out enough UV to actually crosslink the emulsion or you just are not exposing long enough.
DudetheDestroyer

Post by DudetheDestroyer »

Same thing happens to me. Just got into printing. I'm using dual cure as well and exposing for 10 minutes.

I wish I would have seen this post before I battered up my last screen, haha! Looks like I'll be reclaiming for a couple hours. ;)

Any improvement with the longer exposure time since March?