Going from Part time to full time...

This section is all about the business side of screen printing. This may include but is not limited to business procedures, marketing and advertising, return or misprint policies, customer relations and pricing. Basically anything that has to do with the business side of screen printing.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Going from Part time to full time...

Post by Leadfoot »

I would like to hear from those that have gone from screen printing part time to full time...tips, do's and dont's, etc...

I am seriously contemplating taking steps to move my business to a full time operation but would like some insight from those that have done it. If I do it I want to do it right and will take it slow, I am not going to rush into anything.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Going from Part time to full time...

Post by Catspit Productions »

Well my personal advice is just that. Take baby steps. Be sure you can support every move forward with business. Always strive to keep your over head low. And don’t jump into a retail situation unless you’re making more than twice the amount it takes to pay the rent including all utilities and extras.

If at all possible work from home. The rewards are awesome but it is challenging to get business. Consumers tend to trust you less if you don’t have a “permanent” retail space so you have to work hard to come across as professional, consistent and trustworthy. Having all your tax numbers and joining commerce networks can help.

Direct mailers can help out in the beginning. You can work with the post office to target particular areas and businesses or you can do it yourself by creating lists from research online. A mailer of 50 to 100 or more flyers can help bring in business but it also establishes your presence in the area.

I think that's it for the moment ;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks Jonathan! I am definitely wanting to keep it at home and honestly I have found a pretty good niche market that doesn't seem to be slowing down. I do have another question. What minimum size would you recommend for a "shed"? I will be looking at getting at least the 4 color/4 station Ranar press with scamp dryer below it if I go smaller building wise...if I go press and separate dryer I obviously will need more floor space. I plan on having a loft/shelves and such for boxes of shirts for my pending/current jobs, screens and misc supplies. I will probably get at least one of those heavy duty metal racks with wood shelves laid in or on top for ink and other chemicals.

For now I am not looking at needing space for a darkroom and the washout booth will be outside. But it may be wise for me to have at least some open space to have where I can turn on a safe light to coat screens and of course a cabinet to store them in if I get back into emulsion. I am also not going to be doing any of my artwork or screen making out in it, that will be done in the office in our spare bedroom in the house. The "Shed" will strictly be actual shirt production and printing supplies storage. If I were going to build a garage I would do it all in that, washout included, but a shed seems like a much more cost effective and not as much space taken up option.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

You’re very welcome. I figured some general pointer would help everyone. Hmmm, very interesting and a good question to tax y brain.... :)

How much space would a printer need with a Cruiser set up with the Scamp dryer below? The Cruiser series press in a 4/4 configuration has an 8 foot diameter or footprint. With screens and space for the printer or “operator” you might want 10 to 12 feet around the press. So a 12’ x 12’ shed might work but I would go as large as you can for the space and budget you have.

I’m thinking a lot about being able to work around the press as well. You’ll need space to put the shirts close to the printer and a place for a catch basket at the very least. You may want a table or shelf to flat fold shirts as they fall into the small catch basket. I think allowing for as much space as possible would be wise for best working conditions.

I get cramped at times in 500 square feet with all my equipment and lighting for videos.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Casams
Squeegee Master

Post by Casams »

I saw your thread. In taking your business from part-time to full time your business income should be at the point that it is nearly equal to your employment wage income. Making a jump (quitting your employer job) without having an established business base is financially risky. I am 63 years old, over my life time I have made many mistakes. Probably the number one mistake has been to jump into a business full-time before that business is capable to supporting my lifestyle and family. It is better to hire others to work your business to get the sales volume up to the point that the business profits can support you and your family.

Another word from the weary. After you make a jump into the full-time world of the business owner, set yourself up as an employee. By this I mean pay yourself an hourly wage for the time you put into the business. Treat the business as a separate entity. Both you and the business must make a profit. Taking all the money out of a business each month to pay your living expenses is a disaster just waiting to happen. If your company is incorporated you must do this. It is just good business to allow the operation to make a profit and accrue a nest egg to build on.

When you make the jump to full-time business owner DO NOT LOOK BACK. Looking back only causes failure. Good luck!