Advice for give away t-shirts???

This section is all about the business side of screen printing. This may include but is not limited to business procedures, marketing and advertising, return or misprint policies, customer relations and pricing. Basically anything that has to do with the business side of screen printing.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Advice for give away t-shirts???

Post by Leadfoot »

SO I have been wanting to do some shirts to give away/promote my business and also use as a marketing tool of course. Is there a rule of thumb of how many I should look to do or is it basically a judgemnt call or more importantly a budgeting issue? Since blanks of regular t-shirts are fairly inexpensive my cost to do a front and back tee, maybe even with a sleeve would be somewhere in the $2.50-$3.00 range per shirt after materials , etc. So obviously as a small printer I cannot afford to do 100 off the bat so some thoughts from others on this would be helpful. :)
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Advice for give away t-shirts???

Post by ApeShirt »

I have given away several shirts with my logo on them. I haven't been ale to give away many but just what my budget allows. How many to give is shop dependent. I wouldn't go crazy with the print though. I don't believe printing on a sleeve as an addition to your logo will garner any more business. People love free stuff and if the print is good that will get them talking. Not because you printed something extra to give away. Again, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.
Consider going to local sporting events and pass some out during tailgating. Or something similar. But be sure the target audience will appreciate the shirt. One of my logo's consists of a screaming ape head but I don't give those shirts or business cards out at church events. I have a "family friendly" logo for that :D
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
nswpr
Senior Screen Printer

Post by nswpr »

Great Post Leadfoot! I'm thinking on making some giveaway shirt too and I was wondering how many to make. Like ApeShirt said, if they look nice people wear them.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay I agree with Greg, it will definitely be dependent on your marketing budget as to quantity. But I can tell you I have given away hundreds of tee shirts and it does help. I have sent them all around the world and not only do I enjoy it but people appreciate it.

I do print all sizes but I print few double extra larges and smalls. Large and extra-large will go the most. I have even printed all extra-large shirts for one design and gave those out no problem. So for those of us in the States it’s likely XL’s will be hot.

The design is very important. I have had a lot of experience with this and once a long time ago I printed a design no one wanted.... LOL. Don’t ask ;) But I learned a lot since then and the design that works well for me is the Secret Society logo which is the triangular one most often done in black or Catspit green. I’m about to do a run on some black tees with gray ink this time. Everyone looks at that logo and often ask what it is.

I have found the shirt itself can be an issue. Some people will actually be picky so these days I have moved to a better shirt even though it costs more. You have to remember it will present an image of your business so going the extra mile will never hurt.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions...now I just need to come up with a cool design!
Casams
Squeegee Master

Post by Casams »

I use advertising specialties whether textile or hard products daily. I always have something with me whenever I leave my home. I have found that quality is extremely important. Handing out inexpensive poor quality promotional products does NOT produce the desired results. Though the printing may be excellent, people associate your company with the overall quality. Therefore I find on T's that I will stay away from low quality "Fruit of the Loom" even if that means I will have fewer to distribute.

I have also found that clients may request lower prices. Dropping down to a lower quality t-shirt is NOT wise. Yes, you will get an order, however the public does not understand the different quality levels of the shirts. Their logo on a shirt that does not wear well will place a "bad taste" in their mouths for your company. I have lost orders only to have them return to me a few months later because the screen printer used a poor quality shirt to meet the price demands of the client.